Starting out...

nashcp21

Hello to all I am new to these boards, but i have been reading them for a while now.

I am trying to learn how to use PLCs as a personal interest of mine. I have done some mild simulator stuff using PSIM emulator, and recently i purchased an AB plc on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7540181660

Question:

Did i get a good deal on this unit? it would end up being 108$ with shipping, and is this a good unit to start out with for practice.

Also, how does one interface this with a windows PC to program the unit.

Thanks

John

On further examination, i noticed that the controller is a PLC-2/15. Is it possible to drop in PLC 5/20+ & <>5/25 processor. And use the rest of the cards ect.

OR would it be more worth it to purchase a SLC 500 or complete PLC-5 system?

Is it worth it? Sure, if you need a workhorse PLC to perform some industrial task. However PLC-5's are not my choice for beginners. It is an older Platform and has many little gotchas.

The software to program this baby is about $3500.00, and since it in not one of the newer enchanced processors, it doesn't have a serial port so you will have to spend another $1000-1500 for a programming interface. I would recommend that you start out with one of the smaller PLC's.

I learned PLCs on the PLC2's in 1988.

They can provide a good learning experience.

The software is quite expensive, but you might be able to get some old stuph. Originally, you could load from the factory disks 5 times before they "timed out".

Good luck in your education!

regards.....casey

I'd try to get your money back. The ebay ad says everywhere that its a PLC5 and yet they delivered a PLC2? You didn't get what was advertised. A PLC5 is a superior unit compared to a PLC2 with respect to programming plus, as previously mentioned, s/w will be very expensive. I'd buy one of the many training packages available from AB, Siemens, etc. before getting into that older equipment.

To answer your question, yes, you can drop a PLC5 in place of that PLC2 and use the I/O.

jstolaruk said:
I'd try to get your money back. The ebay ad says everywhere that its a PLC5 and yet they delivered a PLC2? You didn't get what was advertised. A PLC5 is a superior unit compared to a PLC2 with respect to programming plus, as previously mentioned, s/w will be very expensive. I'd buy one of the many training packages available from AB, Siemens, etc. before getting into that older equipment.

To answer your question, yes, you can drop a PLC5 in place of that PLC2 and use the I/O.

I'm with this guy.
I would stay away from that PLC2 if at all possible.

Also keep in mind that if you decide to go with a PLC5, you still need expensive programming software (RSLogix5) to program it.

If I were you, I would look into a new Micrologix that includes a learning version (ie. low priced) of the programming software.
Check this out: 1761-L16BWA-R1E
Info. here: http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/accessories.html#development

Thanks for the input from everyone. I have'nt actully paid for the item yet, and i sent an email to the guy last night about the plc5/plc2 mix up. Hopefully he will be willing to let it go without any negative feedback problems.

It sounds like the plc-5 may not be the way to go.

So would an SLC-500 be a good choice? I have about 200$ to spend on the hardware, and if I can't get the software for free...200 hardware AND software. I am just a college student, and I want to program this unit for eduacation, and eventually use it (semi-permanantly) in a personal project. I don't need analog i/o, but i do need a lot of digital 120v in/out ect.

Thanks again for the advice.

The low end micrologix has six inputs and four outputs built in - non expandable.

Its not much, and its limited to the fixed data files and subroutines, no floating point math. But the sofware for it is free.

Have you had a look at LogixPro?
http://www.thelearningpit.com/lp/logixpro.html
Its a PLC learning simulator for 35 bucks. It wont control anything real, but a lot of people have used it to get started.

Last edited:
Well, the logixpro is intersting, but the project i want to build will have about 18 of pushbutton switches, all with 120v lights, and control 8 solenoids. So it sounds like the micro 1000 is unsuitable.

How does free sound?

I am very new to this web site and have just started a project that will encourage me to learn how to program the AB PLC SLC500. In the meantime, look into the SLC 150 and let me know if it will work for you. It handles 110V I/O and can be used with a hand programer. It does not interface with windows in any way. Let me know if the SLC 150 would work for your project and It may be able to get you headed in the right direction. My email address is [email protected] By the way, what is your new project?

Nashcp21,

Just a couple more nails to drive in the coffin of your PLC2 system. <g>

As far as replacing the PLC2 processor with a PLC5...

The rack is old series. It will work but it will only support 8 point I/O cards and 2-slot addressing mode.

The power supply is not compatible with a PLC5, you would need to replace it too. You could use it on a remote rack, but not in the same rack with a PLC5 processor.

Well i am certainly ditching the plc-2 system then, as it is too expensive to replace all that old stuff.

The project is going to be an automated booze dispenser with a control panel. To start out it will be pushbutton operated, you press a button labeled "vodka" and it will dispense a shot of vodka into a glass, via a timed solenoid valve. Eventually I hope to program drink recipies into the plc. e.g. put in the code for a long island iced tea and it will run though a sequence vodka,rum,tequill,triple sec,gin....
8 types of booze (eight solenoids)
at least 18 pushbuttons (all iluminated)
so that is 26 outputs and 18 inputs right there

I am looking at the plc 150 now, and I am wondering if it has enough I/O for the project.

Unless you are married to AB for some reason you may want to look at this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Koyo-Direct-Logic-205-PLC_W0QQitemZ7542573526QQcategoryZ97184QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is for an Automation Direct DL-205 series plc with rack, plc and an assortment of I/O modules. This is an actively supported product and is pretty capable. You still need to get into software for this but it will ultimately be less pricey than most of the AB options.

Keith

You may want to look at this one also. It is 'make an offer' and comes with software.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Automation-Direct-DL205-PLC-System-and-Software_W0QQitemZ7533607406QQcategoryZ97184QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited: