Ethernet switches

KarlKlein

I am shopping for an Ethernet switch. There seems to be a wide range of pricing for managed and unmanaged switches. Including HMIs, there should be eight or nine nodes on this LAN, plus one or two for troubleshooting and programming equipment. The big contenders seem to be Moxa and Hirschmann. Are there favourites? Is the management interface worth the extra money?

Thanks all,

Karl

Also look at N-TRON.
I would avoid Cisco - you will pay much more money and will not get all features.
Must be industrial rated with wide temperature range and noise immunity.
I would definately get managed switch with IGPM snooping, VLAN and port mirror. External statistics and OPC would be plus also.

We use some small Hirschmann switches in some of our stuff {4 or 5 ports maybe}. So far we have never had any problems with them. Not sure about the cost, we keep them in stock. so they can't be but so much.

Later Todd

I have worked with the N-tron and Hirschman. Both are good and I would use them again.

Be aware that you are not paying the extra money just for the interface. You are paying for the features Contr_Conn mentioned.

Don't get a managed switch without those features! Particularly if you are communicating with remote I/O over the ethernet.

OG

1) Is the network going to be connected to the office network,

2) or is it only a controller and HMI network?

3) Is there a centralized data historian?

4) Will there be moderate to heavy internet use?

5) Will the network get any bigger in the near future?

6) Do you have any physical IO on the ethernet?

If the answers are No, Yes, No, No, No, and No, then you can probably get by with an unmangaged switch if your description is accurate. I recommend a managed switch for any other answer combination.

Good stuff again

Thanks for your continuing input. This is my first application using Ethernet I/O. I am thrilled with the technology but there's the old saw about the weakest link. I'll check these leads out!

K

I've used Moxa EDS(600?) switches very successfully in the past. They are easy to use, are a total breeze to set up as redundant and they are inexpensive. For the sort of networks I work with (usually 3-5 PLCs, about that many HMIs, SCADA or two) they are just fine.

Managing them is easy, you just enter the IP into mozilla/IE and make your settings. They even have a cute little traffic monitoring Java trend :geek:

Tip: Whatever switch you get, make sure you allow for spare ports in your field cabinets for programming (i.e. it's not worth getting 4 port switches when for a little extra you can have 6 or 8 in a similar form factor).

Let me give you simple example why you want managed switch in any case:

Let say you have HMI and LogixPLC/ENBT only. Nothing else.
Your HMI complains that it can't obtain data time to time.
Why?
If you call techsupport, first thing they will tell you - "Give me traffic capture".

With managed switch you simply mirror the ENBT port to a laptop port and do the capture.
What you do with unmanaged switch? You will have to bring extrnal HUB most likely it will be 10MB. Once you connect it between unmanaged switch and ENBT, all problems may be gone and capture will show nothing. Just because this hub most likely will be throttling the data.
It would be nice to have a capturing capability inside ENBT, but this is another subject..

This is just a one example, I many of them for all other features.

We have even gone to Staples/Office Depot and purchased Linksys Switches. You can get a very good 8-port switch for about $50. They are not DIN mountable and need an outlet to plug into, but I just lay them in the bottom of the panel. A lot cheaper than the $400 for a N-Tron.

boiler-todd said:
We have even gone to Staples/Office Depot and purchased Linksys Switches. You can get a very good 8-port switch for about $50. They are not DIN mountable and need an outlet to plug into, but I just lay them in the bottom of the panel. A lot cheaper than the $400 for a N-Tron.
This is the same discussion as:
- Why use industrial pushbuttons at $80 each, if Home Depot sells consumer type at $1.65
or
- Why use IP67 cabinet if you can buy a metal box for $20

Last edited:
For this particular project the industrial strength versions are worth the investment. This system is part of a unique programme and is one of the final QA procedures- we can build the parts but can't ship them without this test, consistent reliability goes a long way politically. That, abd you spend whatever savings onn the first unscheduled down event based on temperature, humidity or whatever. Contr_conn's comments about troubleshooting address the same effect: half a day saved is parts shipped and invoiced.

I do plan to have extra ports at two locations (the system covers three rooms) for programmer/monitor use,as well as ports for future router/firewall connections if the powers-that-be decide they want to monitor over LAN/WAN.

Best wishes and appreciation!

K

Last year I purchased an 2832849 Ethernet switch, 16 ports, din rail mounting, uses 24 vdc... for $341.00.