what PLC for servo cnc

vcutuk

I am hoping to make a semi cnc router with x,y,z axis.
I have the following components so far

Indramat Mac 90 servo motors x4 +encoders/tacho feedback
SSD Drives 637f servo drive x3
PanelMate 1775k +devicenet 1245

What would be a suitable PLC to connect all this together.

A PLC is really not a good fit for CNC control.

Take a look at http://www.mdsi2.com/Solutions/CNC_Controls/CNC_Controls.asp
Its an open system that will work with the Indramat servos/drives.

In 2003 I did a retrofit on a ca 1952 milling machine that was practically brand new (less than 40 hours on it) - it had been parked in a military surplus warehouse for 50 years! A beautiful piece of iron - they don't make them anywhere near that sturdy now. I used a ControlLogix PLC and AB servos, but this was a far cry from CNC. This was for a production process that was doing the same simple plunge and traverse operation over and over, so the motion is set up in a 10 step table.

How complex will the motion be on the router and will you be changing what it does very often?

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, that seems like a handy piece of software.

The router will be for cutting granite which will be complex 2d shapes going through the granite. So ideally the shape will be designed in a cad program on a pc then sent to cnc router.

Simple Retrofit?

Hi mi name is Eduardo Fernandez i am a electrical engineer at Leitner-Poma. I work on control systems for ski lift, gondolas, etc. We use AB for everything. So far so good, though i am still learning my way around PLCs. Anyway we are attempting a really similar project to the one vcutuk posted (i am sorry to steal vcutuk questions, i am really new at this forum so i don't even know how to post a question of my own:doh:). So anyway i hope, i' m not being rude. Here goes: We are trying to "retrofit" a old Mazak VQC 30/B milling machine

http://www.wotol.com/1-mazak-vqc-30-50-b-3/second-hand-machinery/prod_id/107174

The control system (Mazatrol CAM M-2) its in a really bad shape and we want to upgrade and run this machine using some of the spare AB PLCs that we already have. I am aware of the difference between CNC and PLCs in fact I do agree that this kind of project is a waste of time and maybe money, to implement a CNC application using a PLC arrangement. The reason that we are attempting this is because the way they use the machine here at Leitner Poma's mechanical shop is so simple that they don't need all the fancy stuff that you are able to do using CNC. They just use the Mazak to smoothen the surface of our bull wheels. The machine doesn't even have 3 axis control anymore, cause the guys from the shop don't need it. Basically the just make the bull wheel piece spin, set a cut height and go in straight line grinding the surface of the bull wheel. Just Polishing it and making it smoother for the brakes grip...that's it. So it's just two axis control and not even simultaneous from what i know. But they want to keep the mechanical part of the machine, motors, hydraulic, etc. Cause it's working just fine the control system is the one that is causing trouble. They want to replace the CNC control with a PLC and "downgrade" the capabilities of this machine, why? i don't know. So since this would be the first time using a motion control application in Logix for me. I want to know: Can Logix motion control be able to pull this application off? Where can i find some motion control tutorials for RS logix? To run the machine would it be profitable? Is it worth it? Wouldn't it be better to use a different approach or solution?

Anyway thanks, and again i am sorry for stealing other people post. Have a great week.

P.S. I can provide and example of the G-Code program we are using so you can see if it can be "replace" using Rs logix 5000. Sorry if my english is not perfect i am originally from Mexico City.