modicon Quantum

Good:
Modern easy to program interface (Concept).
Stacks of memory.
Plenty of built in features (Fuzzy Logic, good PID etc)
Most bugs now knocked out.

Bad:
Unreliable (Older versions of concept only).
Slow, when using up all that memory.
Cannot use maths co-processor unless programming in ST or IL.

In the past, I had some bad experiences with these PLCs, but they are getting better. I think it is now fairly reliable, and it has the easiest and most user friendly programming package (concept).
Will it kick around much longer?
Who can tell, but I think as long as Schneider is profitable, the Quantum will stay, at least for the next 10 years until they bring out something better.

Some more pluses for Quantum:
Can handle up to six different communications protocols at one time;
Very easy implemented, true, hot-standby;
IEC programming with Concept 2.5 or Ladder Logic with ProWORX32.
Schneider say this is their platform of choice for process control applications for the forseeable future.

Negative stuff:
Their 984 Ladder Logic is backwards compatible with the PLCs from the 1980's, which forces you to do things the "old fashioned" way (wait a minute is this a negative?);
Form factor and module selection is geared towards the process industry more than machine control.
Industry attitude that Modicon is hard to learn and has is old fashioned.