PanelView Instruction & Programming

Can you tell us more specifically which Panelview you are working with?
-Panelview standard?
-Panelview enhanced?
-Panelview Plus?

If you are working with Panelview Plus, Rockwell sells training CDs for RSView Machine Edition, which is used to create applications on the Panelview Plus. The other panels use different software.

Also, are you looking only for the panel training (screen design, establishing communications with a controller, etc.), or are you also looking for PLC training as well?

I have Panelbuilder 32 software & a Panelview 1400 to practice with. If this is not enough info for you let me know and I can get you more software or hardware info. I would like to study this application and learn as much as possible about all aspects as I can. I am studying PLC through a Koldwater program, which is working out well for the time being. The type of Panelview training that I am looking for is as you noted (screen design, establishing communications with a controller, etc.).

I don't know about other companies, I've been exposed to the automation world for 3 years now, but I've never been to any courses, nor did my boss that's been doing this for 20 years,the best way to learn I find is just to dive right in and learn from those before you. I recently went to an automation workshop and discovered that I know a lot of the AB stuff than I give myself credit for.

Well I am basically learning on the fly, but I've recently taken over a maintenance manager position, and I am the only one in the company that works with, or knows anything about the electromechanics associated with the Plant's operation. I've got a hectic personal life (married with three children, & taking classes for refrigeration), so any formal study materials would be of great benefit.

PB32 is not that hard to figure out ...in general...the issues usually are with communication..ie pass thru downloads, RIO and BTR/BTW. These require knowledge more specific to the plc involved.

There are differences between the Panelview models but since you have a 1400 if you could get a plc too you could easily develop a simulator to check your PV program. Some of the differences are things like touchscreen or keypad models or mono and color, naturally you have to develop a different approach depending on the model.

The hardest thing I found at first was understanding "tags", once you get that its not all that hard. I am not sure how you define "tag" but I simply think of it as a configuration file for the "device" (pushbutton???)..ie how it and plc work together.

So connect a plc and just play around when you get the chance.