PLC to PLC MSG Instruction Affecting Panelview Performance

GTUnit

I have a weird problem.
HMI response to operator input gets extremely slow under a certain condition:

Vendors pallet wrapping machine consists of a Micrologix 1400 and Panelview Plus 7 700. Their Panelview application is bloated but the panel response and screen reaction time was adequate.

We needed to interlock the wrapper with a another system running a L82E.

The following are observations of HMI sluggishness based on what changes were made.

Connected wrapper to L82E switch. No noticeable HMI sluggishness.
Enabled Read MSG. L82E reading 1 INT from Micrologix1400. Once a second. Minor HMI sluggishness.
Enabled Write MSG. L82E writing 1 INT to Micrologix1400. Once a second. Major HMI sluggishness.

Micrologix 172.16.11.2 / 255.255.255.0
Panelview. 172.16.11.3 / 255.255.255.0
L82E 172.16.1.2 / 255.255.0.0.
All other controls hardware on network 172.16.3.x / 255.255.255.0

Network traffic may seem like a logical conclusion but the Panelview works fine connected to the L82E network. The ONLY time it seems to take a performance hit is when I enable the write MSG instruction.

What is going on?

Wow, that's bizarre. I just can't imagine one or two messages per second pushing the MicroLogix over a performance cliff.

The first thing I would check is the triggering logic on the 1/sec MSG instruction. Make sure you didn't inadvertently use the /DN bit so that it re-triggers as fast as possible. I trust that you know what you're doing with one-scan triggers, but I've seen that sort of error (and made it myself !).

Does the MSG instruction complete without an error in the ControlLogix ? If you can, add an RTO timer to evaluate how long between /EN and /DN.

Can you mirror the MicroLogix port to Wireshark or otherwise capture the data hitting that port ?

Is there a router or VLAN separating the Class B from the Class C network devices ? What's the Default Gateway setting on the MicroLogix ?

I wonder if something's causing the switch to dump its ARP table, or causing the MicroLogix to close all of its connections to the PanelView.

What’s your messaging interval? If you’re unsure, it’s likely that these messages are being triggered as quickly as possible, as Ken suggested.