BACK UP SCANNER & PROGRAMMING

parag uike

hi , good evening,
this is parag uike from india.
well 1) can any one tell me how the programming of SLC,PLC&FLEX-I/O is different?
2)abt back up scanner- the principal,the working, block data transfer,my company has used 2 backup scanners for hot redundancy & used 6 RIO adapter(ASB) for 1 project.
plz let me know how it works? how the data transfer takes place between RIOS?& why they have used 2 backup scanners?

plz try to tell me in detail?

thanks in advance.
parag uike
THE GAME OF PLC+

Greetings parag,

I mean no offense and I’m trying to help you by telling you this:

you are asking for specific answers - but you are giving us only general (non-specific) information to work with ... we cannot answer your questions in “detail” because we do not know enough about your system and about your hardware ... if you could mention specific part numbers (example: 1747-SN/B, 1771-IFE/B, etc.) then we might be able to provide you with better answers ...

here’s the best that I can do with what you’ve just posted ...

1) can any one tell me how the programming of SLC,PLC&FLEX-I/O is different?

different from what? ... or different between each other? ... based on my best guess as to what you’re asking:

SLC is programmed with RSLogix500 ... PLC-5 is programmed with RSLogix5 ... other (older) types of PLCs (PLC-2, PLC-3, etc.) are usually programmed with older DOS-based software ... you didn't mention ControlLogix - but for completeness I'll tell you that it is programmed with RSLogix5000 ...

Flex I/O is not “programmed” in the strictest sense of the word ... in other words, Flex I/O is connected to a processor (PLC, SLC, ControlLogix, etc.) and the processor is programmed to “look at” the Flex I/O inputs - and “control” the Flex I/O outputs ... Flex I/O can be connected to the processor in many different ways... some possibilities are Universal Remote I/O ... ControlNet ... DeviceNet ... EtherNet/IP ... and there are others ... all of these connections are possible by installing the appropriate communications adapter as part of the Flex I/O system ... some of these networks require the use of special software (RSNetWorx) to “configure” the communications channel before the processor can interface with the Flex I/O ...

you’ve asked for “detailed” answers to how the Flex I/O system works ... we would like to be able to provide you with the information that you requested - but that is an impossible task ... click this link and notice that the Allen-Bradley website requires three full pages just to list the manuals for the Flex I/O system ... you might find some of the answers you’re looking for there - but you’ll need to know more about exactly which parts are installed in your system ...

2)abt back up scanner- the principal,the working, block data transfer,my company has used 2 backup scanners for hot redundancy & used 6 RIO adapter(ASB) for 1 project. plz let me know how it works? how the data transfer takes place between RIOS?& why they have used 2 backup scanners?

I’m sorry but we cannot answer these questions without knowing a LOT more about your system ... in fact, you haven’t even told us whether you’re working with the SLC or the PLC-type hardware ... I can tell you this much - in general terms - redundancy is usually done for two main reasons ... (1) for safety considerations (2) and to reduce downtime due to equipment failures ... I can’t tell you which of these reasons (or possibly some other reason?) led your company to use this configuration without knowing a LOT more about your system ...

can you post your program file for us to take a look at? ... that would help us answer many of your questions ... BUT ... first be sure that your company does not mind if you post the program on a public forum ... many (most?) programs are regarded as “trade secret” information ...

I know that you are eager to learn as much as possible about this equipment before you arrive on the site ... that is quite commendable ... and we would like to be able to help ... unfortunately a lot of the information that we need in order to answer your questions will probably not become available until after you arrive at the job and have a chance to inventory and list all of the equipment that is being used ...

I wish that I could offer you more help ... and I sincerely wish you good luck ...

Last edited: