Siemens S7-200 & Profibus

Cryogen

Hi guys, I am not very familiar with profibus.. I have a siemens S7-200 (CPU-224XP) connected to a TD200C or optional touch screen TP177(so customer orders either TD200C or TP177).

One of our customers have asked us about Profibus compatability. For him to connect to our system, should I need to use a profibus module? or can he use the extra communication port available on the CPU? DO I need to change anything on the program?

Thanks for your time..

Not sure about the comms side but you would have to give the 200 an address and include it in the master PLC's hardware config if you were planning on exchanging I/O between the two PLC's...

(you must be planning on exchanging I/O or why would you link 'em)..

As for the port.. a profi port will normally have "DP" written somewhere around it if its profi compatible.

*Edit*.. I don't recall ever seeing a 200 series linked by profi. I've seen ET200's though, would it be worth getting an ET200 instead of a 200 series PLC?

Just to add to my previous post, in the S7-200 manual it shows the S7-200 connected on a profibus network using the EM277 profibus module. Is that the only option?

Just saw your reply JohnnyT, so it can be connected only be a EM 277 I guess..

But the CPU 224XP has an additional port, can that be used?

Last edited:
The additional port cannot be used for PROFIBUS...You will have to add the EM 277 Module, and with that the S7-200 can only be configured to be a PROFIBUS slave.

The 224XP has 2 programming ports. But to communicate via profibus you must add an expansion module EM277. The front of the EM277 has 1 profibus port and the dial switches to set the profibus address. You then have to configure the hardware with an offset location.

Thanks for your replies.. My customer has the S7-200 PLC (that we supplied) but doesn't have the MicroWin software, can he still add the profibus module,set the address (thru the rotary switches) and use it on his network.. I am assuming if he needs the data on a S7-300 he would add the EM277 on this network with Step 7?

So can he get away with not having MicroWin?

The S7-200 is only available as a DP Slave running to a Master such as an S7-300/S7-400. The capabilities of the S7-200 on profibus are minimal, since it can't act as a master. The EM277 can do that, as well as give you more HMI options on the S7-200 as the panels are a certain "class" of master.

The interfaces on the CPU224XP are both MPI ports, with one port being configurable for a USS protocol for drives.

Hope that helps.

Hayzed1

He will have to know the address of the register that hold the information he is looking for. I don't know the limitations on amount of data that can be transfered, but I believe it has to be a consistent block of words. (ie vd100 thru vd107)

I guess he wouldn't have to have MicroWin