S5 to wonderware interface

KBrodin

Help Guys,

This one just got dropped in my lap.

The customer has a S5 928B and a 946 that he has contracted an integrator to interface with a Wonderware HMI. The integrator cannot get either CPU to talk to the new CP1430 card, which will in turn talk to the Wonderware via ethernet. Since the integrator has been working unsuccessfully on this for over a month, he has called us in to try to get the CPUs to talk to the CP1430 through the backplane.

It has been years since I even looked at a S5 CPU, so I am hoping you guys would have some ideas on where I should begin looking to sort out the communications problems.

The customer knows that the S5 is outdated and will eventually be replaced with S7, but due to budgetary restraints cannot due it yet. The wonderware HMI is the band-aid until he can afford to replace the entire system.

I also realize that the integrator SHOULD be responsible for making it work. But the powers that be, feel that for political/customer relations reasons, we need to at least try to fix it.

Ouch. The only way I've ever successfully communicated to an S5 Series is through either the current loop port, or the serial port.

There were some 'ethernet' (loosly defined, basically only the physical layer) drivers that could talk over Sinec H1, but it wasn't ethernet as thought of with IP.

Again, look at http://www.softwaretoolbox.com/store/item_pages/itempage_964.asp

KBrodin,
The 1430 card is the H1 industrial ethernet module that resides in the rack. In order to communicate to the PLC through this module is with the 1613 H1 card that goes in your computer, or serially with a monkey swing connector. I am not sure if Wonderware supports the H1 communications or not. I am with FasTrak, and we make a 32 Bit Windows PLC programming application for the S5, and we fully support the H1 communications. You could try our demo an see if it works to connect online to the CPU through the 1430. Please let me know if you want to try this and have any questions.
[email protected]
www.fast-soft.com