[wta] feasibility of mpt using PLC control?

crying_baby

good day every1!!

i would like to afsk if it is ackward to implement a MPPT tracker using a PLC. as i am working in a tema, i have been assigned the responsibilty to implement a control scheme for teh research on solar. so far i have

omron plc set
D/I,
D/O
A/I
A/O,
and a temperature transmitter(i assume wont fit in this application)

well there are two aspects to be controlled
first is the monitoring of the variables from teh solar system(such as current and voltage throughout the day, - im working this usign scada)

secondly, if possible, to implement a tracking control scheme using the pLC as far as i know, the existing system has used mmicroprocessor based device. since plc is also microprocessor based device.. too means its feasible too?

i would really appreciate if some1 could advice me on this thank you very much!!

Fllonging the sun

Dear Crying Baby:

I'd seen an application based on Siemens S7-200. They used it to monitor production and control solar panel positioning. They integrated a table with the sun positions every day of the year, so it can follow the sun throug the year. It also puts the solar panels horizontal if the winds reach 80km/h.

So It's possible.

Regards

Just to clairify, MPPT (MAX POWER POINT TRACKING), is NOT solar panel positionig; it's a DC to DC converter, that bumps the voltage up & down depending on the output voltage of the panels, so as to keep the batteries charging even in low light/output. These units are commercially available so it might be more bother then it's worth to try build one.

I agree with Kelkoon on the issue of tracking by date/time rather then attempting to find the sun & track on on it's actual position. There are tables all over the web that will provide you with positioning data. All you should need to due is have one set of data for each week rather then every day. Depending on your Lat & long, the differance may be immeasurable.

Have fun.