Chainging IP addy on slc 5/05

darrenj

I had a slc 5/05 and a versaview 1250 that was shipped to a customer, They want to hook it up to there plant Network (For remote trouble shooting) The IT department gave me a new IP address starting with 64.0.....) and also a gateway Address, Now i have never changed an ip with a slc 5 before, Here is what i did..went offline with the processor (BTW can you make on line changes with that model??) double clicked on the channel configuration..went to channel 1 and changed the IP and the gateway and left the subnet to 255.255.255.0

I then downloaded no problem..it then said i would lose communications i clicked ok..then i went to my network settings changed my ip and gateway #'s but couldnt get back on line with the slc..I ended up configuring a new Ethernet devices driver to communicate..my question is what could i not use the Ethernet/IP driver?

Any ideas??

SLCs and PLC5s are not Ethernet/IP capabile devices and you should use Ethernet Devices driver.
Ethernet/IP driver used with Logix platform.

Contr_Conn said:
SLCs and PLC5s are not Ethernet/IP capabile devices and you should use Ethernet Devices driver.
Ethernet/IP driver used with Logix platform.

Thanks..Just wondering why when i first connected it with the ethernet/ip it worked just fine..

Oh well..

One more quick qestion..on the versa view terminal can i just change the ip address in the versa view setup or should i do that from the "Desktop"?

Thanks

D

I am not working with SLCs, mostly Logix and PLC5s, but I never saw SLC responding in ETHERNET/IP driver.

Contr_Conn said:
I am not working with SLCs, mostly Logix and PLC5s, but I never saw SLC responding in ETHERNET/IP driver.

Same here Slc stuff is limited for me but am somewhat up to speed with the logix platform..

You don't need to go offline , but unless you do this through serial port , if you change the IP address of the processor, don't forget that you will have to also change the IP address of you laptop/pc to something matching , and then reconfigure linx

harryting said:
Newer version of PLC5 and SLC will respond to Ethernet/IP. Also, you do not need to go offline to change IP in SLC.
I can tell you 100% that none of PLC5s will respond to Etherent/IP driver.

slc5/05 ip

The SLC5/05 series C has a power down banner when making changes to the IP parameters. The IP and Subnet have to be part of the network and your PC has to be assigned to the proper network. If you are unsure if your set up correctly go to www.lookatlan.com and download the looka@lan program its a freebie, but it will help you find all your IP addresses on your network. It is indispensable software now that the PLC guys are being pulled into the IT world...Don't fight it.. it is part of that perpetual learn curve. Thats why I never let school interfere with my education.
----------
Note: If your RSLogix 500 software is at the proper rev. level(6.3(CPR6), you can turn on the SNMP and HTTP of the protocol control in the channel configuration and then you can get into your PLC (built in web pages) by typing the IP address in your internet explorer. These web pages have some value and guess what no RSLINX to mess with. Also, you can customize your web pages.
It is getting to be a strange and wonderful place, this PLC world more strange then wonderful. The MicrolLogix1100 has these web page features, also.
----------------------------------------------------------