H0-Ecom network 10MBps

glenncovington

Lifetime Supporting Member
Help, I have a network of DL06 and DL05 processors. I can communicate fine with my laptop over ethernet, but when I try using the maintenance laptop I get a "Transport Protocol Error".

Does anybody know what to look for? I shut off the firewall and tried checking all network setting. It looks like I can see everything with NetEdit3, but will not connect online. This is a Dell laptop with XP and SP2.

Thanks in advance!

I have IPX.

Tried connecting to normal office LAN. Worked, then disconnected cable to office LAN and plugged in cable from DL06 network. Worked fine.

Rebooted with cable to DL06 network and came back with error again. It seems that in establishing the connection with the office LAN it sets up the IP address and all, but with the PLC network it shows Limited or No Connectivity unable to get network address. I tried to use a Static IP which made the PC think the network was fine, but it still does not connect in directsoft. In netedit3 I see all the devices and it passes a CPU access test.

On the laptop that works, it shows no IP address or Gateway (0.0.0.0) but connects great. It is running Windows2000. Tried to match all setting with WIN XP laptop, but still no joy.

When I get the XP machine communicating after the changing of cables from the office LAN to the PLC LAN, I still cannot get a ping command to get a response even though directsoft is communicating.

I feel like there is some security setting in the bowels of XP SP2 that I am missing, but I am at a loss. Tried all of the Host FAQ suggestions to no avail.

It sounds like there could be a conflict with the IP address &/or Subnet Mask on the maintenance laptop.

Do you have an IP address set on the H0-ECOM or are you addressing with the dip switches? If you are using TCP/IP and have an IP address set on the modules, the IP address and subnet mask on the PCs/laptops may be the cause.

That is the nice thing about IPX, you do not have to worry about those configurations. As long as the dip switches are set to a unique address you can see it. If you were using IPX and I see you have verified that IPX is installed, make sure you do not have two (2) NICs running IPX. If so, your “primary” NIC is the only one that will communicate with that protocol. If this is the case, try uninstalling IPX from the other NIC and see if that works.

NetEdit3 uses IPX by default, which may explain why you can see the module w/ it but can not PING the module. Can I assume that you were using the same cable & hub/switch with both laptops when you saw these results?

Try these and see what happens. I know of no problems with Dell laptops & XP (SP2). Hopefully there is something simple here we have overlooked.

- Jeff

I tried using a static IP with the info from the Office Lan setup, but it still did not work for DirectSoft. The next thing I tried was a file I downloaded based on a Microsoft technote I found about a similar issue. The file reset the hostfile, winsock, and registry items. After that it appears to connect fine.

Thanks everyone.