micrologix 1200r to 5/04 slc

2004sk4

Is there a way to get a micrologix 1200 plc talk to a slc 5/04 plc. The 9 pin port is being used by a touch screen. I am using a pcmk card to program the slc from time to time. The only open port i have is the dh+ I would like to be able to talk to the micrologix for downtime information to be displayed on a touchscreen that is hooked to the 5/04. I would also like to be able to remotely monitor the system over ethernet. We have two machines that have the same setup on opposite ends of the building so the dh+ could be used to connect them also

the 5/04 is controling back half of the machine and the micrologix is controlling the front have which do not have to run at the same time.

thanks ahead of time

The touch screen does not offer dh+. I was looking at the previous post in using the data convertors to go from the df1 to dh+ It would hook it to the micrologix plc and then blue hose to the 5/04. I just have no experience with this type of communications. i was also looking into the dh+ to ethernet convertor also I would use this to retrive the data for management.

Thanks ahead of time

If I understand correctly, you are going to buy a dh to dh+ protocol converter for the ML, and then another converter dh+ to ethernet. You mentioned that the DH+ port on the 5/04 was open, so I assume you do not have a blue hose network setup.

A cleaner way, would be to replace the 5/04's with 5/05's and then connect the ML with a standard ethernet adapter. I don't know the price of the protocol converter's but I would imagine swapping out the 5/04's is the more expensive option, but may be best in the long run. If you have a use for the pulled 5/04's that would make it a little eaiser to swallow.

just a thought,

ken

i was going to buy a df1 to dh+ converter. We are thinking about replacing the eztouch screen with the new automationdirect c-more touch screen that has a web brower built in. With this route all we would have to do is get the information to the 5/04 and let the screen do the rest. The convertor should be cheaper then replacing the 5/04 with a 5/05 and also buying a 1761-network card. The end setup would have atleast 3 5/04's that run bigger machines and 5 micrologix's that run smaller setup's I am thinking of hooking all the plc.s to the dh+ port on one 5/04 that is hooked to the c-more touchscreen

Take a look at using the Digi One IAP. It has two serial ports and an ethernet port. It will converse using DF1 and either AB ethernet type. I have used it on several occasions to get a SLC5/04 on ethernet instead of going the pricier route of replacing them with 5/05's. If you really want to keep the cost down, slap an Advantech 6520 ethernet switch on it and you can now leave your PCMK card and cables behind. Just tote around a patch cable and you're all set. You can even use the Digi to program the 5/04 using the ethernet connection. The only NET-ENI modules we ever purchased are now relegated to a box in the bottom of my file cabinet.

P.S.: They also work pretty well on MicroLogix systems too...

When we did this in the past we has just a few PLCs and a few Panelviews. We used DH-485, and supplied a separate AIC+ for each node. LAtency wasn't bad, and set-up was straightforward. The only caution is that you can't use the A-B cables for tying the Panelview to the AIC+ - the power connections screw up the AIC+. I had a post on this some time ago. If you need the info, and can't successfully search for the post, let me know and I'll dig up the cable pinouts from my archives.

Now we just use the ML-1200 with two ports - a much cleaner solution. One port is strictly Panelview, the other is networked to the SLC.

Yes, the IAP is slower over the ethernet at 38.4K while you can crank up the PCMK to 230.4K on the DH+ - but it also doesn't cost $2K a pop with cables either.
Trust me... I don't go anywhere without my PCMK card (well I guess there were a few times I forgot.. hmmm... good thing all I had to do was slap a Cat5 cable on it or we would have been down for Oh let's see 1 Hour while I went back and got my PCMK card and cables... Let's see, then there was the time the PCMK bought the big one and we couldn't get another one for at least a day...) Granted, it's nice to have the extra speed, but when you add up all the other benefits, I will still gladly plunk an IAP in there (slower or not).