PanelView training at home

Malcolm

I've purchased a 504 for training/playing at home. I've had some formal training for the PLCs as far as setting it up, communication and some basic ladder logic code. What my employer doesn't offer (for my job I don't need it) is setting up communications with a PanelView (plus). At the moment I don't have a panelview at home but assumed I could use my laptop to emulate a PanelView Plus. I have all the software but don't have any ideas on how to set this up.

Is there a workbook for PaneViews or/and Paneview pluses that I can purchase to learn at home?

Do you have Rsview studio? I normally use this software to develop my panelivew plus application. It also allows you to run the application on your computer. I assume you will be communicating through your com port so you will need the serial driver.

Greetings Malcolm,

and welcome to the forum ...

go to http://literature.rockwellautomation.com and set the “Search Library By” feature for “Catalog Number” and enter “2711” for the search string ... (note: leave off the quotes for all of your entries) ... this will bring up a six-page list of manuals on how to program and how to set up various models of PanelViews ... you can pick and choose the ones that you think will be most useful to you ... hint: “Getting Results” and “User Manuals” are usually the best ones to start with ...

tip: if you need help in the future with anything related to PanelView, it would be a GOOD idea to always post the Catalog Number (ex: “2711-B5A1”) and the Series Number (ex: “C”) and the Firmware Revision Number ex: (ex: “1.01”) ... secret handshake: there is NO such thing as a “plain vanilla” PanelView ... the “sales name” (ex: “PanelView Plus”) usually doesn’t give enough information to nail down the nuts-and-bolts detail that you’ll need in order to successfully set the thing up and get it to work ...

just curious but I can't help wondering ... have you already run out of things to learn and do with the SLC? ... PanelViews are fun to play with - and they'd look good on your resume ... but remember ... the PanelView doesn't have a brain ... specifically, it doesn't make decisions on how to control the machine ... my advice would be to make sure that you've got the SLC end of things pretty well nailed down before you start looking for other fish to fry ... but good luck with all of it - and keep us posted on how you're doing ...