S7-200 address in Citect6.0

sunflake

I have been trying to connect S7-200 to Citect6.0 using RS232-485 and SIMPPI protocol but I keep getting 'Bad I/O variable' and 'Tag not found' errors. I have looked all over for any article containing the formats for addressing...if somebody could post it here I'd really appreciate it.

Sunflake,

all info is incorporated in the Citect helpfiles. In Citect explorer select 'Help - Driver Help'. Click on 'Contents' and scroll down to where you see 'Siemens'. Click on the book symbol next to it and it opens up to three more books. Click on the book symbol next to 'Siemens Simatic S7 models', select 'S7-200' and 'Serial'. Now you must see a couple of pages. The one called 'Data Types' is the one you need.

Kind regards,

found it

thanx! atleast i'm able to compile now:)need some more help though... i'm still unable to find port properties and it gives me 'error 0x21 for port1_board1' ...also after compiling it does not take input from the PLC says the device is offline...the PLC is in RUN mode and it communicates fine with the microwin program

If the PLC communicates fine with the MicroWin program, that means your PC/PPI interface is all right. However, that channel can only handle one datastream at a time. If you want to run Citect with the S7-200, you have to shutdown microwin. Another possible problem is when you're using the USB/PPI converter. I don't know if that interface is useable with Citect. I'm not in the office now, so I can't check rigt away. Can you please be more specific about the setup you're using?

Kind regards,

port properties

i tried running it wid microwin shutdown but its still giving me the same error. I am using SIMPPI, the cable is RS 232/485, connected to com1 port and i have set comx as board type. the help section says the port address will be determined by the port properties which i can find in the windows control panel. i found the properties of PC/PPI cable but was unable to find port properties so i have set the port address as 1.

sunflake,

there seems to be an error in the express wizard when you're setting up a serial connection to an S7-200. I have written down my findings and a solution in the pdf file attached.

Kind regards,

found the dbf and tried editing it...it was misaligned...still don't understand why alignment should matter so much but i fixed that and tried to put the 'address'. problem is that the field doesn't seem to register at all and it goes blank evrytime i open it. also, i still cant seem to get the port right...tried 1,2,3 and 4 for com port addresses but none of them work. sometimes it says that the port is already in use and other times it tells me to put a number between 1 and 256.

Sunflake,

it's hard to troubleshoot from a distance. When you say the computer sometimes tells the port is already in use, I think of the time when I had RSLogix on the same PC as Citect. I got the same message because the communication part of RSLogix, RSLinx, started as a service and reserved the com port for it's own use. Maybe you have something similar at hand. I do hope you find soon what's going wrong.

Good luck,

it works!

i shut down all the process i could, ran the computer setup and packed it and it finally worked!
it must be tough troubleshooting w/o a screen in front of you but it was really helpful :D thanx a million!