RSLinx Communication

Bill Beller

We are running RSLinx Lite on a laptop PC and the drivers are setup with AB_ETH-1 (for Ethernet) and we are connected from the Ethernet Port on the laptop to an Ethernet connection on a (Hirschmann unmanaged rail switch, part number RS2-5TX) and the rail switch is connected to a 1756-ENBT Ethernet/IP Module. In the same chassis is a 1756-DHRIO Control Logix Data Highway Plus-Remote I/O Communication Interface Module and this module is connected to our DH+ Data Highway. When looking at RSWho through RSLinx for the DH+ we can see our 1785-KA5 Communication Adaptor Module Node 64, which is in a PLC5 chassis and the browser Icon for the DH485 pass thru but we cannot see any DH485 devices, or out the channel 0 of any DH+ device. We have went to the 1756-DHRIO Configuration and picked the DHRIO Routing Table and that opens up a Gateway Routing Table and from this point we have edited and deleted the DH+ Bridge and tried different link ID settings and cannot figure out what we are doing wrong.

I can also from my desktop connected directly to the DH+ Data Highway see any DH485 devices out of the channel 0 port of any DH+ Processor.

Can someone help with this?

If you are "drilling-down" to DH+ via ethernet, you may wnat to try the Ethernet/IP driver. That AB_ETH-1 driver was for the older AB devices that only supported 10M/half-duplex. The ENBT is an Ethernet/IP device; this may not be the cure, but it is a good starting point.

We went to the Available Driver Types and picked the drop down list and picked Ethernet/IP Driver and it opens up a new Add New RSLinx Driver window and automatically assigns the name as AB_ETHIP-1 and we set it to brouse local subnet. We then drilled down the RSWho and still can't see past the DH485 bridge or even out one the the DH+ processors channel 0 on our network. Any other sugestions?

Check if you have EDS file for KA5 installed.
Ethernet Devices driver works without any problems with Ethernet/IP devices.
It just uses TCP comms instead of faster UDP used by Ethernet/IP driver

I did a *.eds search on the laptop and there are a lot of .eds files, most of them are C:\Documents And Settings\All Users\Documents\Protocols\ (ControlNet, Devicenet) etc...
One file is Dnetpv.eds. I'm at a loss as to how to find the file your asking for other than doing a file search. Out of curiosity I did a *.eds search on my desk top PC and nothing came up as a EDS KA5 File.

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe linx lite supports full passthrough communications. You probably have to have linx gateway.

I have 3 ea. legal seats of RSLinx Professional, I will load one of them onto the Laptop PC and see if that solves the problem. Thanks !

Bill Beller said:
I have 3 ea. legal seats of RSLinx Professional, I will load one of them onto the Laptop PC and see if that solves the problem. Thanks !
No problem...
If you can communicate from your desktop, check what version of linx is running there to verify if that's the problem. In any case, professional should install all the eds files you would need.

I just thought of something in conversation that we are having a common problem with not being able to do a pass thru both on the SLC5/04 channel 0 port and the pass thru on the 1785-KA5 Module. So in saying that how would the KA5 EDS file have anything to do with the failed pass thru on the SLC5/04 channel 0. I jsut got a reply from someone named Dr Watson advising the RSLinx lite does not support full passthrough communications. I replied that I have 3ea. legal seats of RSLinx Professional that I will consider loading one of those seats onto the Laptop.

To check if EDS file installed:
Start "EDS Hardware Installation Tool".
Select "Remove" - tool will scan all registered files and you will see complete list.
Do not remove anything, just look.

I ran the EDS Hardware Installation Tool and the only listing I have that is of the 1785 is a 1785-ENET. Since my last communication I had gotten a hold ot Rockwell Tech Support,(All of my Rockwell Softwares are under a Tch support contract)because I needed there help with file problems in removing RSLinx. I Re-Installed RSLinx Professional and installed the key disks and even with RSLinx professionel I still can't communicate a pass thru link from Ethernet to DH+ out the Ch 0 port to DH485. I also got with tch support @ Rockwell and one of there people set up there hardware to replicate ours and they returned a message to me that a passthru to 2 levels of data communication protocals cannot be done. The problem I have with this is if the hardware is available and can be connected electrically then why can't the software accomidate this passthru. I removed and re-installed the RSLinx to try what Dr Watson had advised. I don't want to give up on this if it can be done!