Simens or Omron

danesh

HI all

I have to design a control panel for Hydrulic servo mechanism, in your viwe which PLC is better i use? simens s7-200 or Omron cj1

Thanks in advanace

Who are you designing it for and what do they already use?
Best to pick that one.
For me, I would pick Siemens since I already have the software and know how to use it.
Other than that, both are good PLCs and niether should give any trouble.

Very thanks,It will be use for Service gate for a dam,
i have another choise to design and making a controllre based on atmel avr microcontroler, what is your idea about?

Hello danesh,
I would go with the manufacturer that you are familiar with.
If you have no experience with either, then I would suggest that Siemens would present the steeper learning curve; but this is just my opinion (...before I get shot down in flames by the Siemens users out there :D )!

danesh said:
you mean siemens is better?
Hello danesh,
Not at all.
Both are very good PLCs, and both have quite vocal supporters all around the world.
I was simply saying that if you have no experience with either of these packages (in particular with using the Software), then the Omron package (inc. CX-One / CX-Programmer) would probably be easier for a newbie to come to terms with.
(...still waiting for the flames!!!)

It looks as though the s7-200 is more comparable to Omron's CPM2 series.

You have to decide what your needs are though. The CJ1 series has a more extensive instruction set including floating point math.

Danesh,

Do not use an Atmel AVR controller.
Either a Siemens or Omron PLC is by far better when you are building a one off project like this. They are easier to service, and you can walk away from the job knowing it will run reliably for a long time, and that spares are easy to find, and servicing is also easy especially for other people).
Microcontrollers are good for hobbies, university projects and mass productions of thousands of items. They are not good for one off projects. The development and trouble shooting time will always cost far more and cause more trouble than a PLC.

4-20mA Analoge inputs

Could anyone tell me how to connect a sensor giving measurement output in the form of 4-20mA with a PLC

Hope to listen you very soon

Zahid

Hi,

I suggest you go with Siemens as the system built around Siemens what ive seen in my experience is rugged and troublefree compared to Omron. Further the support for the product is good in the market.

Doug_Adam said:
Danesh,

Either a Siemens or Omron PLC is by far better when you are building a one off project like this. They are easier to service, and you can walk away from the job knowing it will run reliably for a long time, and that spares are easy to find, and servicing is also easy especially for other people).
Microcontrollers are good for hobbies, university projects and mass productions of thousands of items. They are not good for one off projects. The development and trouble shooting time will always cost far more and cause more trouble than a PLC.

Doug
Very thanks for uour answer , i have been develpoe some industrial project with avr mcu and are good,
can i ask you why you say avr mcu is bad, note that i have not been develpoe project with plc yet

For me, I would pick Siemens since I already have the software and know how to use it.

Need fat pockets though. Omron is half the price, particularly the CJ1 with it's huge function list and huge number of standard FBs that come with the software.

If you have no experience with either, then I would suggest that Siemens would present the steeper learning curve;

No argument there. I have and I consider the software to be awful and the hardware very expensive. My Siemens rep has been trying to sell me PLCs for years. I tell him I use the Omron CJ1 and his comment is "that b****y thing. It has been absolutely belting me in the market place". By the way, this guy is also a friend on mine.

Both are very good PLCs, and both have quite vocal supporters all around the world.
I was simply saying that if you have no experience with either of these packages (in particular with using the Software), then the Omron package (inc. CX-One / CX-Programmer) would probably be easier for a newbie to come to terms with.

I would have to say definately not probably. By the way, I use both - Siemens only if specified. Have one on the go now with S7-315/2 processor.

It looks as though the s7-200 is more comparable to Omron's CPM2 series.

More like the CP1 that is due to come out very soon. It appears that Omron have aimed the CP1 squarely at the S7-200 to me. One model even has 2 x 1mHz inputs, 2 x 1mHz outputs, 2 x 30kHz inputs and 2 x 30kHz outputs. Machine builder stuff. Has the CJ1 instruction set including 64 bit maths - both standard and floating point.

Absolutely agree with that statement.

Cheaper is better. Count what cost developping software, engineering work and hardware.

Not necessarily. Cheaper is no good if the function set is poor and online progarmming is not available. Also, invariably the "cheaper" software tools are an absolute pain. The Twido is a typical example - great concept (IDEC) - lousy tools. PASS after I suffered the terrible software for 2 jobs - had already bought the PLCs.

I suggest you go with Siemens as the system built around Siemens what ive seen in my experience is rugged and troublefree compared to Omron. Further the support for the product is good in the market.

Do not agree with that statement - Omron have a 2 year warranty on ALL their products in Australia. I am unaware of any other manufacturer that shows that amount of confidence in their products.

If the I/O count is only small, a good look at the AB Micrologix 1100 would be worthwhile. It is very inexspensive for AB and offers some very nice features such as Ethernet built in, Modbus built in, RS232 port as standard.

If you can wait a bit, the Omron CP1 has a USB port for programming and plug in modules for Ethernet and serial ports. Have not seen the cost yet though.