OT..how about yahoo??

darrenj

I see some poeple had problems with MIRC last time a chat room was tried..so how about yahoo?? If anyone is interested my yahoo id is darrenjsparky..I will create a confernce call so there could be quite a few users on line..Plus if you have a mic we would all be able to hear..

I see there is still the ban on user rooms but lets see what happens here..Perhaps i could set on up on my server...

hello darren. I haven't used MIRC in a long time, but it did seem more complex than it should be for what it does. X-Chat is a linux/unix irc client but comes in a win32 version as well. I believe the interface is cleaner and easier to use for people new to irc.

just my $0.02

l8r

I chatted on Fred Raud's chat site.

I have indicated that I can also chat using AIM or MSN messenger. I even have audio and video. No one cares, at least no one has tried to contact me using AIM or MSN. My Mac Mini even has iChat that allows 4 way conferencing. I have never used it.

Fred Raud's chat room often degraded to a trivia bot. Some people liked it, but that isn't why I would visit a chat room.
I did learn what other people in the chat room did.

I found mIRC easy to install and use. Now some browsers have IRC plugins. I am sure there are plenty that can help getting mIRC installed properly.

The problem is that there is a difference between chat and intelligent conversation.

Peter..I just saw the little icons under your name..guess i never looked that hard before.. As for the chat vs conversation..For me it depends on my mood..Some days all i want to do is chat about nothing..Take a total break from the stress and just shoot the breeze be it about the state of the dollar or what Homer did last night in the simpsons..Other times i crave intelligent's..(Usually the days i have been doing a dead end no brainer job..Other times just a good debate ( I find other peoples views on subject interesting..i might not agree but on more than one occasion i have been convinced that what i thought was wrong..) It is hard to find a common ground for all. I agree with your point on trivia..Its not for me..(That might have something to do with the fact that i am no good at it!!)..Myself i found mIRC easy enough..

I just figured it might be nice for the "Night owls" to be able to get together and chat in real time..or talk in real time..

MIRC is easy enough, but I also use MSN and Yahoo. I think sometimes people are put off by MIRC because they've heard some sort of horror story about it fr4om 'the good old days'.

Chat rooms are exactly that, for chatting. Whatever way the conversation starts I've always found that it will eventually degenerate into a 'bs' session until someone chirps in with a valid question and starts everyone talking seriously again.

I would always say that this forum is far more likely to give you a serious answer, but I'm open to chatting as well. Sometimes it's good to take a break and focus on some elses rantings (y)

Just my 2c worth.

I used to partake in Fred's MIRC chat room, most of the time that I was online there were a couple of guys from this side of the pond, plus a few of my American collegues, Eric (Nelson that is) was on there quite a bit, so was Randy. I noticed Peter on there on a few occasions as well, but a lot of the time I was on my own :(

That's when I lost a bit of interest, also, as my typing skills leave a little something to be desired, I also found it difficult, at times, to follow the conversation.

I have added my MSN contact to my profile, in case anyone is interested :confused:

Paul

I would gladly chat with any of you gentleman any time, it is just a matter of being on together I suppose! That is what makes chatting a bit difficult to achieve, schedules you know!