Does anyone actually chat from here using MSN Messnger, Yahoo Messenger, AIM etc?

Do you use an instant messenger to contact anyone from this site?

• Yes, sometimes.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • No, never.

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • Intend to do so

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

MartB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wondering if anyone actually bothers to talk to each other using any of the instant messenger programs out there?

Last edited:
The previous thread and a recent contact peaked my interest, hence the poll.

In my last job we used it all the time to keep in touch with other employees, bosses, etc (we were spread all over the world though), and I found it really useful. Escpecially when you can actually setup a webcam and see what they are talking about!

I haven't used it on this site, but I have used on others. Comes in handy. I've used it at jobs also, where I have been stumped and had no phone access, just hopped online and opened up MSN/Yahoo and talked to someone.

I've used it a handful of times to contact customers or employees on the other side of the globe. Ususally in the middle of the (North American) night !

It works a little better and is a lot cheaper, I think, than telephone, especially for a Chinese employee with moderate English to communicate with me with my zero Chinese skills.

We use a Lotus-specific IM program inside the Company and our administrative staff uses it a lot more than the sales and management folks do.

I think it would be a neat thing to try to use IM to serve customers on Tech Support, but I suppose it could go sideways fast if you try to support a handful of chat sessions at once.

I've found the Instant Messengers to be a nuisance and removed them from all my workstations and laptop. While I'm working on weekends or late at night I'd have every kid I know under 16 IM'n me to no end... "Are You There?" ..."No I'm not!"...."Your kidding right?"...."No. I'm really not here, I'm at work".....bla bla bla...

My favorite was when my sister IM'd me a baking recipie out of the blue while I was online with some machine at another location.

Between email, my cell phone/nextel, and land-line I figured I'm connected well enough.

Mike, you can specify who can see you on-line. I don't show I am on-line to most people. At least I don't think so. I know I don't get bugged. I don't get on-line to just chat. Often I just type a few words like a mini e-mail.

Like Ken, we have found MSN messenger handy for doing tech support but we are starting to use GoToMeeting more and more.

Peter, acutally my email updates constantly, so with the right setup on the other end it's virtually the same thing, but with a record of the converstation. A few weeks ago I had a "email" tech support session with AD that was, for lack of better words, in real time. But now I can refer back to the entire session word for word.

I was unaware that you can block the "kids". I dont want to be the grunchy uncle, but man o man....go watch TV or put a snake in your sisters bed...

I'll check into that. Thanks for the tip.

I use both Yahoo and MSN Messenger, I find them about equal right now, Both have the ability to share a whiteboard etc.

Side note: I'm reliably informed (friend works for Yahoo) that Yahoo will be upgrading soon and will allow you to add MSN contacts into Yahoo messenger.

One other alternative is a program called 'Trillian' which actually runs every messaging system you can think of including MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc etc.

http://www.trillian.cc/

Last edited:
elevmike said:
Ok I'll bite. But whats the reccomendation? Yahoo, AOL or MSN, or whatever?

I wish I knew which is best. So far I have used MSN messenger just because more people have it. I used AIM in the past when I had AOL. I have an iSight that uses iChat and that uses AIM or Bonjour. My iSight allows for 4 way video conferencing which could be useful if there were 3 others with iChat. The while board and seeing the other guys desktop if key for tech support.

I have a logitech 4000 webcam. They work well.