Symbols- PFD & P&ID

blackslipper

Any familiarity with the symbol, circle with and arrow through the center....

Dealing with process to automate via PLC

Looking for ISA symbol standards

Still a student... questions may be mudane

Learning so i can share....

hi Genius i think you misunderstoof me its not electronics, but a chemical process, on the process flow diagram there is a symbol of a circle with an arrow through it

and another symbol is a circle with a saw tooth wave in the center and that represents a heat exchanger..

I hope i cleared that up..
Looking for some information on ISA or IEEE standards that have all the symbols and their meanings..

This is what happens when a person comes to me with a chemical question here at my work "go down the hall turn left first door on the right" its the one that says "process engineering"

Sorry its out of my realm

But check here, it's good http://www.eng-tips.com/index.cfm

Rsdoran at one time posted links to a lot of P&ID drawings that could be downloaded.
Maybe he will post them again since I lost all my bookmarks a while back.

Bob O.

I took a quick look at my copy of ISA-S5.1 and didn't see exactly what you described. My best guess is that this is a pump. Are there any letters or other tag information associated with this symbol? What is the process? Is this symblo part of the process flow stream or an intrument off to the side of the process flow stream? You can often deduce the meaning of a symbol from context.

Process engineers often have to create special symbols if there isn't one in the standards that exactly meets their needs. This is perfectly acceptable. Often there is a legend sheet that identifies the symbols being used - check for that. Also, is there a reason you can't just ask the guy that created the symbol, or your TA or professor?

A circle with an arrow could be a fluid pump or motor.
http://www.patchn.com/fluidsymbols.htm
hydsympump.gif