Enterprise Controls

saravan

Hi all,

Rockwell has a software called Enterprise Controls (EC). It is a developement enviroment that removes the need to program in ladder logic. It is based on using components from libraries that once created and developed, make new line installations easy. Does anyone in a development or plant enviroment have any experience with it? If you do, how would you rate using EC vs. ladder logic.

Thanks
Saravan

Have not either seen or used it but PLCs and PLC software these days are all using or will all be using the IEC languages. These include ladder, FB, STL, SFC etc.

FB allows the use of libraries that have been developed over a period of time. Most PLC software now comes with a standard set of FBs available for use. Some allow opening and modifying of the FBs, some have the FBs protected so that they cannot be altered and saved as something else. FBs can be written in ladder or STL, depending on the manufacturer.

Is this where you thinking lays?

Bob, Enterprise Controls was (is?) a Rockwell product that 'automagically' generated PLC, HMI, and even maintenance/diagnostic code. It essentially is 'programmed' by defining actions and conditions, sort of similar to TI's APT/MAITT combo. The EC compilers would take the step's, and create tags, generate the ladder logic, update the HMI displays for the process, etc.

It targetted the Logix family, starting with 9 or 10 IIRC, and View32, as well as some other Rockwell integrated software.

To me, it seemed most suited to fairly simplistic control processes, like conveyor's or assembly lines based on simple, discrete control.

It has no relationship to 1131.

Ken could probably give more information on the product, I've not actually seen it in use anywhere, only demo'd, and that was a few years ago.

Thank you - I now understand. Have checked with a mate of mine who works for AB in Ozz and he has never sold it.

Hi, I happen to work with RSEC for the last to major projects its been in use on. One being two full Plants for Mercadees in Alabama and the latest Jeep job. There is also one being planed for three full body shops for Crystler. EC is pretty simple really its just alot of prewritten subroutines for common activities. Like for exsample theres a clamp assembley where you configure the inputs for however many clamps you want, ten for exsample, being fired by one output. when you're done you generate ladder code. It generates an assembley interface rotinue with the your configured inputs driving tags that are used generically in a subrotinue after it scans the inputs it JSR's to the rotinue and drives tags for outputs. When it gets back to the assembley interface it drives your configured real outputs with the tags and moves to the next oem configured assembley.

Its really a good idea all the fault messages are configured automatically static faults that prevent auto, preconditions (soft stops) are configued. the possibilities are pretty limitless