Teaching PLC

You will need a license to run the PLC software on your computer, as well as license for each running copy used by students.

If you are employed by a university, I would recommend contacting a local distributor of the PLC(s) you will be using to teach. The fact that you are seeking software/hardware for educational use *could* result in a price break (but don't hold me to this!!)

Rick

plc-friend said:
Hi everybody, is it necesary to have a special software license for teaching PLC programming?

No.

PLC programming can be taugh with a stick of chalk, a black board, paper notepad, and a pen.

If however you wish the students to have a hands on lab, then at the very least a PLC programmer/simulator is required.

Have a look at http://www.thelearningpit.com/ for an inexpensive simulator and programming package.

For a more rewarding educational experience I recommend an actual PLC and PLC programming software if school resources permit it as this will give the students much better preparation and experience with a real unit.

I´ve heard about starter kits from Siemens and AB for a lower price that include Software and hardware.
is it allowed to use them for training?
I just want to teach at home or in a small classroom.

Last edited:
The 10 point Micrologix 1000 sells for $89.00 US and AB gives away a free version of RSLogix 500 that will program only that model. You will need to spring for a programming cable however, its around $35.00 US.

Check with your AB distributor for more information.

You can purchase a complete starter kit with a 120VAC powered ML1000 (6 dc in/ 4 relay out), programming cable, free version of the software on a CD with manuals for $125.00 US. Part number is 1761-START1000E.

Basically, you need to have a licensed copy of whatever software you use on each computer that runs it simultaneously. So each workstation that you set up for your hands-on labs will need its own licensed copy.

Most of the 'starter' packages from the major manufacturers are limited to one package per customer, although some manufacturers will arrange special deals for educational institutions.

In the case of the AB package, it's available free for download, so presumably you can install it on multiple computers. Remember though, it is limited to the 10 I/O ML1000 models. It can't program the larger ML1000 models or any of the other MicroLogix products.

If you want to teach PLC Basics... non-brand-specific... then you don't need a PLC or the corresponding software at all.

At the very least... you can do it all with pencil and paper... of course, this is hard to verify. And if you are doing the grading... ouch! Not too bad for 1 or 2...

The next higher step would be to use a basic-plc PC program. This can be written in any language that might make you feel comfortable... BASIC, VB, C...

Surely there must be a FREE PC-based PLC program out there, somewhere, by now!

Greetings plc-friend ...

I'm sure that you've already realized that “teaching PLCs” is a very deep and very wide puddle of water ... have you already decided what will be the final objectives of the classes? ... specifically, what will the students be able to do AFTER the class that they could not do BEFORE the class? ...

your answers might be something along these lines:

(1) be able to discuss the differences between unitary and rack mounted PLCs ... (loud groan from audience) ...

(2) have a basic familiarity with ladder logic ...

(3) be able to INTERPRET ladder logic programming for digital/discrete inputs and outputs...

(4) be able to WRITE ladder logic programming for digital/discrete inputs and outputs ...

(5) be able to INTERPRET ladder logic programming for analog inputs and outputs...

(6) be able to WRITE ladder logic programming for analog inputs and outputs ...

and so on and so on ... up to:

(7) be able to walk back into the plant next Monday morning and feel confident in TROUBLESHOOTING a PLC-controlled piece of machinery using analog inputs and outputs ...

(8) be able to walk back into the office next Monday morning and feel confident in WRITING a program from scratch for a PLC-controlled piece of machinery using analog inputs and outputs ...

(9) and quite possibly even more ...

once you have specific answers to those types of questions, then you’ll be a lot closer to deciding what type of hardware and software you’ll require ... again, it all depends on your objectives ... in some cases just “talking” about the course material might suffice ... in other cases, you could require a complete lab with a LOT of expensive equipment to get the job done properly ...

why don’t you tell us more about what type of training that you have in mind? ... we’ll be glad to help you nail down a game plan ... and be sure to tell us how many students you expect to have in each class ... and also how long you expect each class to run ... 2 days? ... 5 days? ... 1 night each week for 16 weeks? ... it all makes a difference ... especially if you’re going to try to make money doing this ...

and one more wild idea for now ... have you thought about taking on a part-time (or even full-time) teaching job at a local tech school or something like that? ... it might be a good way to get your feet wet if you’ve never tried anything like this before ...

Hi Ron, thank you for your message.
My propose is that my students are able to interpret and write applications using digital and analog signals. I want to introduce analog simulations and HMI applications.

At this moment I have this in mind: use micrologix processors for unitary PLC´s and use Logixpro software to simulate Modular PLC´s.
I think that i could use RSLogix Emulate to emulate scalling values for analog applications instead of only using paper and calculator (any suggestions are welcome on this).

And for HMI: the other day i found a pdf file on internet, showing a PanelView 300 starter Kit and i thought i could use one. Only hope they are still for sale.

Regarding to how many students i plan to have, i think a maximun of four people working in pairs is OK.