Connecting DriveLogix5730 to a PLC 5/40 with a serial connection

wlemst88

Hi all,

I'm trying to send some digital data between a Powerflex 700S with Drivelogix5730 processor onboard, and a PLC 5/40. I need to use serial port as the processor does not have ethernet and the drive does not have DH+.

The data I need to send is only 1 word, and is uni-directional.

First of all, in looking at the serial port config, there are several modes. Which mode should I have this in? System or User. If System, then what protocol? DF1 Master, DF1 Point to Point, DF1 Slave, or DH485(I'm pretty sure not this last one). If User mode, then I guess its only ASCII as my option.

Now assuming I have these modes set up right, how do I address the serial port. I think I know how to do it on the PLC 5, but I don't know how to do this on the DriveLogix platform.

Anyone out there who can give me some pointers, or maybe a link to something that spells this out?

Wes

I am guessing here, but if the DriveLogix has a Ch0 serial port, then all you have to do is treat the problem exactly as if the DriveLogix was a standard CLX processor.

The connection will be DF1 Point to Point.

If the MSG instruction is in the DriveLogix then:

On the Config Tab:

MessageType = PLC5 Typed Write or Read

Source Element = eg INT[0] (ie some integer data location)

Number of Elements = # Ints you want to send starting from INT[0]

Destination Element = eg N7:0 (ie the address in the PLC5 you are sending to)

On the Communication tab:

Path = 2,0 (2 = DF1 Serial Port, 0 = DF1 Address of PLC5 port which is not critical because there is only one possible destination for this message on this network)

Setup the MSG to run on the event/rate you want and it should burst into life.

If you want the MSG to reside in the PLC5 then you will need to set up a "PLC/SLC Mapping" table in the menu under "Logic". This simply maps an array of data (preferably INT data in this case) to an "Nfile" number so that the processor knows how to treat the incoming PLC5 requests.