Converting from Ethernet Protocol to DH-485

vigdavies

Anybody know how to convert from Ethernet protocol to DH-485 ? I need to basically use a high performance HMI that has Ethernet connectivity and place it on the Allen-Bradley DH-485 protocol. How can this be done ? Is there a add on module or converter box that can do this ? Please note: the manufacturer of the HMI does not have an accessory to make this conversion nor the product to interface to DH-485, and AB doesn't have a device to convert Ethernet to DH-485. What does a guy do ?

Last edited:
Connecting from Ehternet to DH-485 protocol

Thank you all for replying. I appreciate your effort & time.
The platform is Schneider-Electric Pro-Face, and MODICON QUANTUM is the PLC system. Basically a AGP HMI will be the client's choice of interface. The device is the AGP3500 series. They want to connect the HMI to an AB system using DH-485 protocol. The HMI has Ethernet protocol. I want to have this HMI talk to the DH-485 system. How do I do it ? Just to let you know, the client will be using the new GP Pro Ex software to control it. I reviewed the software capabilities and it shows that the communication method is switched via software. I downloaded the software to actually see where the switch is to actually see if it could be done, and there wasn't the utility to be seen for this. Any ideas ?

vigdavies said:
The HMI has Ethernet protocol.

Ethernet is NOT a protocol. It is a standard for electrical connections and for data packet configuration - header, adressing, error checking, etc. Two devices that use Ethernet are able to exchange data packets, but they are not necessarily able to communicate. Allen Bradley's implementation of Ethernet is not compatible with Modicon's! You need to find out what "protocol" the HMI is using to embed its data requests inside the Ethernet packets.

Having said that, I strongly recommend Prosoft.

I finally found out what technology, and product is available to do what I am seeking out in regards to translating Ethernet to DH-485 protocol. ProLinx Gateways has what I am looking for. I can now go to the next phase of making complete. http://www.prolinxgateways.com/ I knew that I could do Ethernet to DH-485. I had to see if there was something that could do it. If I can now read webpages / HTML I can deliver a total unique system. I believe I will.

I regards to my last posts, I may have not used the proper terminology to describe exactly what I was looking for. I am enlarging my knowledge base to eventually match yours. I know sometimes it can be frustrating to try to assist someone when some of information given may be fragmented or scattered, and its all just a matter of getting to the heart of the matter. I will brush up on the terms used in this particular part of the industry, and the purposes of each and every component. I just jumped into a job that's into PLCs, I/O and related products from a career in sensors, and instrumentation. Thank you for your patience. Its much appreciated.