Data logging + Network

MRBA

I am working on a project where I need to log the temperature and the energyconsumption on several buildings.The data need to be logged e.g. each hour and exported to a PC in my office.
My plan is to use a DL 06 PLC in each building to collect the analog data. We have a LAN in all these building,so I thougth it would be the easiest way to export the data to my office PC.
Is there anyone who has good solutions to solve this project? (Hardware, software, solutions)

Hi MRBA.

Are these buildings very far apart ?
If so you might consider an RTU in stead of a PLC. An RTU is designed for applications just like that. To sit remotely and control and/or log data until it is called up by telefone line for example. The data can then be downloaded in one chunk. RTUs can have many functions that you could benefit from.

That said, it is certainly possible to do like you propose.
AD has a package Dataworx that can do just that. It connects via ethernet. There is an extremely cheap ethernet module for the DL06 so it could fit you application perfectly.

An alternative to the AD Dataworx could be to use an OPC server + a 3rd party datalogging software (like Iconics TrendWorx for example).

Hi MRBA,

Using the DL06 with the H0-ECOM100 Ethernet module would let you connect the PLCs to the LAN. To collect the data on your PC you could use the Tractrola networked product to view the data graphically and log it in Excel-compatible log.csv files. The protocol used would be Modbus/TCP. The Tractrola product would be $200 plus $40 per additional PLC connection.
www.tractrola.com

Regards,
Steve