WinCC RT Advanced - Data Logging Memory

Hi folks,

I'm not as accustom with Siemens & WinCC, however I've been asked to increase the amount of data an existing application is logging. The HMI currently logs 50000 data records for 16 tags at a 2 second interval, which is about 1hr 43mins of trending. They do not want to increase the time interval, however they would like a couple of days of trended data. I can do this by increasing the number of data records, however I read that this can decrease the performance – what I could not find was a quantitative measure on this – i.e. is 50000 data values a lot already or would changing it up to 650000 (approx. 24hrs) make a big difference? I see that there is an estimated memory generated in TIA for the number of data records, however does this take up RAM or SSD...?

System is running: WinCC RT Advanced, V14, on a Simatic HMI Panel PC, Interl Atom E3845, 1.91GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD Harddrive Windows 7

It’s installed offshore, so cannot really do a trial with it…

The maximum no of records in a log is 500000. Increasing from 50000 to 500000 gives you 17.3 hours.
You can split into multiple logs so for example you only have 4 tags per log. That would give you ~70 hours i.e. 3 days.
Regarding the performance, maybe changing into segmented circular log instead of circular log will reduce the performance penalty.

You can run your WinCC RT Advanced on your PC. Even though it is more powerful than the target it may give you an idea.
Let us hear how it goes.