IP Address Configuration in TIA for WinCC Advanced PC Station

aamirawan91

I created a project with Tia portal wincc runtime advanced PC station and also activated its smartserver for some smartclients to connect to it. TIA is installed on the same computer and this runtime advanced server will also run on the same computer. Everything is running fine but i still have a question about the ip address of the PC station configured in the project. Does it have to be the same as the ip address of my computer's network adapter? I don't think so because when i configured a different ip address in the tia portal for the wincc advanced pc station the smartclients could still connect to it using the ip address of my PC but when the smartclient used the ip address of the PC station configured in tia they could not connect. It makes me assume that the ip address configured for the PC station in tia is not really relavant and doesn't play a role or maybe i don't understand it.

IP address of wincc advanced PC station set in TIA: 192.168.10.10

IP address of my computer's network adapter: 192.168.10.5

IP address used by Smartclients to connect to runtime: 192.168.10.5 (my computer's and not what is configured in TIA)

It makes sense that the clients are using my computer's ip address obvioulsy but what is the exact purpose of what we configure in TIA for the PC station then? I can understand it in the case of an HMI panel but how does it matter in case of a PC station running on the same computer?

The IP address on the PC with WinCC Runtime does not have to match what is setup in the TIA project.

The runtime PC needs to have an IP that means it can reach the PLC.
To transfer the runtime to the PC, if the IP does not match what is setup in the project you
can specify the IP manually.