WinCC Flexible 2008 Advanced

kbelyeu

Hi,

We have upgraded our laptop which includes Windows 11. It appears that WinCC flexible 2008 advanced does not support Windows 11. What version should I order, that will be compatible with Windows 11?

I was thinking WinCC Advanced RT but now I'm not so sure..

-Kurt

WinCC Flex has been obsolete for a decade. WinCC Adv RT is also on the way out, it's pretty much on development freeze, it's been bug fix only for 2 years. WinCC Unified is the new active HMI system (both panels and PC), if you are looking to go Siemens. It's quite different, though, not a simple migration. Definitely want to talk about that with your Siemens guy.

Install WinCC Flexible and other legacy software in a VM with an older Windows.
WinCC Comfort is on its way out but not WinCC Advanced (not yet at least). It is frozen in version 17, but you can edit in TIA V19.
WinCC Unified is the new thing, but it is drastically different to WinCC Flexible and WinCC Advanced. We will wait to switch for as long as possible.
So you have some options to consider.

Like I said above, it is for both panel (but a new series of panels, not the old ones) and also PC. One of the big differences between it and the older system is that the PC runtime scales all the way up to SCADA levels (and brings most of those functions to the panels), whereas the old RT Adv was just Comfort running on full windows.

@mk42 : Sorry, I missed where you'd explained that.

I could be suffering from faulty memory of timespans, but it seems like the Comfort HMIs weren't current for very long compared to other platforms. Am I wrong?

@mk42 : Sorry, I missed where you'd explained that.

I could be suffering from faulty memory of timespans, but it seems like the Comfort HMIs weren't current for very long compared to other platforms. Am I wrong?
Siemens really seems to try to only have one HMI at a time, instead of hanging onto the old product lines forever. I assume ancient HMIs suck to try to get parts to make.

Comfort has been around for a decade or so (released 2011), and they aren't end of lifed yet, just superceded. You can still buy them, and you'll still get support/spare parts for 10 years after they announce phase out (start the process probably in the couple years?).

Compare to the last generation from Siemens, that seems pretty good. WinCC Flex came out in 2005 and phase out in 2012, and MP/TP/etc panels from that era were similar. The difference is that Comfort was the first time they changed the branding of the HMI line when a new gen came out (as opposed to incrementing the number (TP170A -> TP170B -> TP177A -> TP177B), but under the hood it was pretty much the same as the old.

WinCC Unified is a whole new thing (not tied to ancient tech like WinCE), but that also means it isn't as easy to migrate.

Siemens really seems to try to only have one HMI at a time, instead of hanging onto the old product lines forever. I assume ancient HMIs suck to try to get parts to make.

Comfort has been around for a decade or so (released 2011), and they aren't end of lifed yet, just superceded. You can still buy them, and you'll still get support/spare parts for 10 years after they announce phase out (start the process probably in the couple years?).

Compare to the last generation from Siemens, that seems pretty good. WinCC Flex came out in 2005 and phase out in 2012, and MP/TP/etc panels from that era were similar. The difference is that Comfort was the first time they changed the branding of the HMI line when a new gen came out (as opposed to incrementing the number (TP170A -> TP170B -> TP177A -> TP177B), but under the hood it was pretty much the same as the old.

WinCC Unified is a whole new thing (not tied to ancient tech like WinCE), but that also means it isn't as easy to migrate.

But I see Data2unified converter is getting better.....