TIA Portal WinCC Advanced runtime licence

xzen

Lifetime Supporting Member
We are rewriting software for a Simatic PLC/HMI originally made with TIA Portal V16. We will make use of a library that was developed for V17. Unfortunatly not available in V16. So I’ve just ordered upgrade for my engineering tools from V16 to V18.
The customers HMI is a PC with WinCC Advanced V16 runtime licence. Can he still use the V16 Advanced runtime licence with the new V18 Advanced application?

If you upgrade to a newer runtime (v17 is the newest, even though Portal is at v18 now), you need a new license.

But, you can mark the WinCC Adv system in Portal engineering to use the V16 runtime, in which case you can keep the existing runtime and license. Not 100% sure if you'd be able to use the v17 library though, but it's at least worth a shot.

Thank you, that sounds like an option. The library is for Step 7, not WinCC.

Thank you, that sounds like an option. The library is for Step 7, not WinCC.
It doesnt help you. If the HMI project is integrated in TIA (most probably it is) with the PLC then the WinCC RT will still be compiled to the same version of TIA.
One way could be to separate PLC and HMI projects, and use the 'proxy PLC' to make the connection between the two projects.

A sidenote, the in TIA V18, the generated WinCC RT Advanced is actually V17 since that is the last version that is ever being made for Comfort and Advanced.

edit: Maybe mk42 is right, that you can generate a WinCC RT V16 with TIA V18. I am interested in how it goes.

Last edited: