S7/TIA Portal/WinCC: "Code 70016: Cannot select screen number 100"...

Mas01

Hi all,

I really need help with this one. I'm at a complete loss...

For months and months, I've had no problems with pressing a NEXT button to advance to the REPORT page.

Now, when I press NEXT, I get the error message "Code 70016: Cannot select screen number 100".

I've checked the HMI development screen and the event associated with the button press is exactly as I expect it to be. It all looks good to me (see pictures attached).

Has anyone seen this before and can offer a solution?

Thanks

Code 70016.jpg REPORT events OK.jpg Press REPORT.jpg

Code 70016: An attempt was made to select a screen by
means of a function or job. This is not
possible because the screen number
specified does not exist.
Or: a screen could not be generated due to
insufficient system memory.

Remedy:Check the screen number in the function or
job with the screen numbers configured.
Refer the number to a screen, if necessary.

also try to create a brand new screen and copy the contents of the original on to it. Change the calls from the original name to the new screen name.

Code 70016: An attempt was made to select a screen by
means of a function or job. This is not
possible because the screen number
specified does not exist.
Or: a screen could not be generated due to
insufficient system memory.

Remedy:Check the screen number in the function or
job with the screen numbers configured.
Refer the number to a screen, if necessary.

also try to create a brand new screen and copy the contents of the original on to it. Change the calls from the original name to the new screen name.

Thanks, I also just found this in the manual.

It just seems bizarre that it should happen now after so long.

I will try the suggestion in bold, thanks mate.

insufficient system memory or not.png

Bad new...it's still giving me the same error code :(

This is depressing.

I copy/pasted the screen and renamed the new screen to _1. Then I renamed the original.

Then I changed the event associated with the previous screen so that it advances to the new screen _1.

I did a full recompile, i.e. go offline/ PLC compile hardware [rebuild all] / PLC compile software [rebuild all] / PLC compile - DL to device HW+SW (only changes)

I still have the same problem. :(

OK... a bit more information.

The "corruption" seems to be on the page to be advanced to (the REPORT page), rather than the page where the NEXT button is pressed.

I did a little test, whereby I created a temporary little button to take me from the first page to the REPORT page...I got the same error message, so it seems the error/fault/corruption is on the REPORT page.

Maybe that is the page of which a new one should be created.

Last edited:
Nope, I created a new REPORT page and updated the links to it.

Did a full recompile but still I get the error code.

Please can someone help on this? I'm really lost.

Silly question, what are you doing on the report page? I can't imagine what would be complicated enough in a basic panel to cause an error.....

Does it have a million complex objects or something?

Silly question, what are you doing on the report page? I can't imagine what would be complicated enough in a basic panel to cause an error.....

Does it have a million complex objects or something?

Not particularly complex.

It's been fine up until today, now it seems to be unreachable.

NOTE: all the zz** pages are development screens and are not linked to.

REPORT page.png

No, I mean the row 3 positions down called "Number".
I notice that the page number in this dialog is "109", whereas the system message says that screen no "100" cannot be opened.
Does this screen have functions assigned to the event "activated" ?
Can you find the screen with no "100" ? (I guess not, otherwise the system message should not appear).

No, I mean the row 3 positions down called "Number".
I notice that the page number in this dialog is "109", whereas the system message says that screen no "100" cannot be opened.
Does this screen have functions assigned to the event "activated" ?
Can you find the screen with no "100" ? (I guess not, otherwise the system message should not appear).

Thanks for the clarification.

I think you may be on to something...

I changed the screen number from "109" to "11"..when I compile now the error message says "Cannot select screen number 11".

Last edited:
OK JesperMP, this is a big help.

I created a brand new screen (NOT a copy/paste this time) from the tree structure.

Then I linked the REPORT button to go to the new screen. (This new screen was automatically assigned screen # 11 (see pictures).

When I click on REPORT button, it successfully links to the new screen.

new screen created.png link to new screen.png new screen is screen 11.png

Last edited:
...So now, maybe I can "copy" Cntrl-A (or something like that) all the buttons etc from the corrupt REPORT screen into the new screen #11?

Last edited:
...So now, maybe I can "copy" Cntrl-A (or something like that) all the buttons etc from the corrupt REPORT screen into the new screen #11?

I'm happy to report that copy/pasting the existing buttons, IO fields, etc from the dodgy screen over to the new one works very well now.

Many thanks, @JesperMP and @tarik1978 for your help!