diff b/w slc and plc

g_khl

hi i am a third yr student of electronics n i want some help to learn abt ladder logic and plcs

also wat is the difference b/w a plc and slc

Last edited:

PLC is a term that many years ago represented an Allen Bradley programmable controller, but has come to be interpreted as generic.

The reason for the shift is generally accepted to be this: Back when these products were young, they were known as Programmable Controllers, abbreviated as PC. Then, along came the IBM personal computer, also abbreviated PC. It didn't a genius to realize that when you said 'PC', the majority of people were going to assume you meant Personal Computer, not Programmable Controller, so Programmable Controller became Programmable Logic Controller, or PLC. Allen Bradley was, of course thrilled with this, much the same as Kimberly Clark was thrilled when facial tissues became known as 'Kleenex'.

SLC is a trade name for a product line from Allen Bradley and has managed to avoid becoming generic.

g_khl said:
hi i am a third yr student of electronics n i want some help to learn abt ladder logic and plcs

what exactly do you want to know about ladder logic? Just saying you want to learn about it is about like saying you want to learn to play guitar...there are several styles. Software is different from brand to brand, some instructions are present or absent. Also, there are different communication protocols involved.

thanks

thanks but that didnt help much i cud not download anything.
it gave a msg u r not permitted to download.

thanks aneways for showing ur concern

gurleen

Greetings gurleen,

back to your original question about the differences between PLC and SLC platforms ... this post contains some basic information that might be helpful ...

and welcome to the forum ...

thanx a lot for your help.
there are so many other things i want to know
a)how does the automation work really starts-i mean is it that first tags are made then the ladder logic and then the graphics are made and their animation is done??????????????????
if i am wrong then pls correct me and dont get angry on me cos i am trying hard but i still dont know much abt it.
b)i am training in a firm abt automation but i dnt have a desktop there-i have tried my hands at manuals but i think without doing anything practically i cant really get anything,pls tell me some good way of learning and practising.

pls kindly help and hanks for showing concern till now
thanks

gurleen

is this the right procedure of automation??????//////

g_khl said:
thanx a lot for your help.
there are so many other things i want to know
a)how does the automation work really starts-i mean is it that first tags are made then the ladder logic and then the graphics are made and their animation is done??????????????????
if i am wrong then pls correct me and dont get angry on me cos i am trying hard but i still dont know much abt it.
b)i am training in a firm abt automation but i dnt have a desktop there-i have tried my hands at manuals but i think without doing anything practically i cant really get anything,pls tell me some good way of learning and practising.

pls kindly help and thanks for showing concern till now
thanks for all the help

gurleen