DeviceNet Setup Without LaptopScanner

PLC Gremlin

I am trying to setup my first DeviceNet network and I think I "assumed" a little to much on the front end.

I Assumed that I could set up the network which consists of a Panelview Plus 600 with Devicenet module(2711P-RN10C) and (2) Yaskawa MP940 MotionControllers. I think the problem is that I do not have a 1784-PCD Devicenet PCMCIA card in my Laptop. My main question now is "Do you have to be able to go online with the devicenet network to be able to set it up?". If the answer is No then I have a lot more questions because I have been trying to set it up without being able to get online. I called AB Tech Support today and the lady said " We don't have one of those yet and pointed me to 3 knowledgebase articles and said Good Luck"... Can anyone shed some light on setting up this network. I do have RSNetworx and I do have the EDS files for Yaskawa's.

Hrm.. never tried something like that, but it sounds like you don't have any Master nodes on Devicenet. What are you trying to do? Use the PV+ as a smart control panel for the motion controllers?

I know the 940 is a multi-axis controller, and has a lot of intelligence, but it seems something is missing from this setup.

Actually based on the Documentation for the PV+, It can be a Master or a Slave, the MP940's can also be Master's or Slaves. I did not mention before but I also have 2 VFD's that will be Slaves on the Network as well. The PV+ needs to be able to write Positioning values to the MP940's and Speeds to the VFD's. I assumed I could set up parameters for Devicenet in PV+ and just download the .MER file and I would be off to the races. All the documentation for configuring I/O in the PV+ just assumes that the end user can go online with Devicnet in the Local Setup Tab of RSLinx Enterprise and does not give another way of making it work. I guess I need to know if I'm going to have to buy a 1784-PCD card for my laptop???

Have set up many Omron simple Device Net networks with only one scanner card and Omron digital I/O. The digital I/O are allocated to certain meory areas in the memory map.

This will only work for a simple digital network. As soon as complex devices are adde such as power monitors etc, or more than one scanner is required, a configurator is absolutely necessary. These often require explicit messaging.

Cannot speak for AB but the new Omron CX-One software is quite inexpensive and includes absolutely everything you would require for any of their cards, NC, Device Net whatever. I would not even consider setting up Device Net without the software again. By the way, with Omron the Device Net scanner is adressed with the Device Net configurator software through the programming port on the CPU. No extra cards/ports in the PLC or laptop are required.

The bad news is that you chose two very complicated devices to serve as your introduction to DeviceNet tools and technology.

I have not used the PanelView Plus DeviceNet interface yet, either, so I have only the user manuals and tech notes to go by.

It appears that you use both RSNetworx and RSLinx Enterprise to set up the PanelView Plus. The "scanlist" of the PV+ interface card is set up by RSNetworx for DeviceNet, but the I/O tags are set up in RSLinx Enterprise as "Aliases", which is a method the RIO users are familiar with (and they aren't nearly as easy as direct-browse tags).

If you had ever done a DeviceNet project with an A-B controller, you'd already be comfortable with the idea of a scanlist and memory map, so this is one of the basic principles you can read about in the RSNetworx for DeviceNet tutorials.

You are going to need some kind of interface to the DeviceNet network itself to accomplish this. Most users bridge to DeviceNet through a Logix-family controller, but I don't think the PanelView Plus provides that functionality, so you're going to need either a 1784-PCIDS (PCI card), 1784-PCD (PCMCIA card) or 1770-KFD.

This is *not* an easy project. The Yaskawa motion controller is complex and in my experience not very well documented or supported. The A-B interface to PanelView Plus is complicated too, and as you've found out is new enough that even technical support is unfamiliar with it.

I have deciphered the RsLinx Enterprise "Aliases" yesterday and feel that I can deal with those, I also am very familiar with the Yaskawa Motion Controllers and have very good support on them with our distributor. So, I guess we have decided that I do need a 1784-PCD scanner card or another means of getting online with the network in order to set it up. Thanks for the help.

Hello Again,

I am about to purchase a used 1784-PCD card. It is a series B. What is he difference between it and the newer Series C ? Is there any drawbacks to not having the Series C card?
I have searched thru the literature over at ab.com and can't find the Doc that lists the differences. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only refference I have really ever seen is from the driver tech notes, below.

Windows XP is now supported for Series B and later 1784-PCD cards. Series A 1784-PCD cards cannot be used on Windows XP. You must use a series B or later 1784-PCD card if your PC is running Windows XP. Also note that Series A 1784-PCD cards cannot be FLASH upgraded.

The original link is here http://www.rockwellautomation.com/support/pccards/get/1784RN531CENP.pdf

Darren

Yes, I had looked over that drivers release notes.
It just doesn't list any differences between Series B and C. I appreciate the help, though. It looks like the Series B will work for me, I just hate missing out on new features or fixes if there is any in the Series C.

PLC Gremlin said:
Actually based on the Documentation for the PV+, It can be a Master or a Slave, the MP940's can also be Master's or Slaves.

I did not want to jump in since I did not have all the documentation available. Now, after I checked some files, it can be said: MP940 can only be a DeviceNet slave.