logic gates

jose7771

hi 2 all,

i am familar with most of the digital gates, but i have seen

a type of logic which goes in this way

say A is the input and it inverted and given to a AND GATE, which
doesnt have any other input apart for A (INVERSE)

wats the meaning of this gate

regards

jose john

I am having trouble understanding your question.
Do you have an AND gate with inverting inputs?
Is the input connected to both A and B inputs?
If true, then the designer needed an Inverter. He had an extra unused AND gate. He used this gate as an inverter so he wouldn't need to add another IC.

Do you have the part number of the IC?

Last edited:
A and not A is a very common way to provide a fixed '0' signal. The opposite, A or not A, is commonly used to provide a fixed '1' signal.

Kind regards,

Jose,

I think it is a way to show an Inverter (Not) gate. Inverters can be physicaly made by taking the same physical chip transisters that are used to make NAND gates (as can AND and OR gates). So,

_
__A___ _| \ NOT A
| | )O-------
|_| )
|_/

is another way to show an inverter.

Last edited:
After reading the question 4 times I think I understand it:

AND gate: one input A, second (NOT A)

B=A AND (not A)

B always false.

This is a common way to make a logical signal that is always FALSE.