RS232 connection problems

louispr2

Hi, I am new to the PLC world. Most of the PLC's here are connected to the ethernet network so I access via wireless ethernet connection.

For the items that are not on the network (Some panelviews and PLC's) I have succesfully connected via DH485 but I seem to have trouble connecting to RS232 port. I have tried various Serial cables including an AB one that says RS232 cable I dont have the full part number but I remember it ended in CP3. I have still not been able to connect to devices via this port. Is there anything special I need to do?

When I go to RSLinx I am selecting RS232 devices as driver and nothing ever appears there under the driver when I connect the serial cable.

Any suggestions on what I am missing?
Regards
Louis

First, make sure that no other drivers that use the serial port are running (other DF1 drivers or 1747-PIC driver). Configure an RS-232 DF1 driver while you are connected to the PLC. When you get to the configuration pop up for baud rate, device type, etc.; click on the autoconfigure button. You should get a message saying autoconfiguration was successful. If you do not, then the serial port of the SLC may have been configured for DH-485. You can then delete the DF1 driver you created and create a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver and try to connect using the same 1747-CP3 cable.

Louis,

If you are working with a laptop, make sure you have disabled your infrared ports in the device manager. I got burned by this little tidbit not too long ago after I spent too much time trying to figure out why my serial connection kept dropping when downloading or working online. I guess the serial port and the infrared ports sometimes share resources. Do a search at the Rockwell knowledgebase for article A9874. The article may be specific to the PIC driver, but it also gives some insight on issues with the serial port.

HTH,

Jeff