difference between panelbuilder and rs view

MNJ96

Lifetime Supporting Member
hey guys

i have a 1500 series versaview panel pc for use as a hmi on a current project. in my facility we now have about 45 panelviews and i am pretty good at programming in panelbuilder. my question is what version / package of rs view would i need for a 14 screen application on average . and how different is rs view from panelbuilder . i wanted to see if my knowledge of panelbuilder would be enough to get me through the design of this hmi or would i have to get a contractor . i know many people here are familiar with both applications

thanks

There are three different flavor of RSView; RSView32, RSview ME, and RSView SE. Of the three, the ME resemble standard Panelview the most. If you know Panelbuilder32 you should have no problem working with RSView ME.

First, a quick question. Do you have VersaView or Versaview CE terminals available? That does make a bit of difference.

Here's a brief overview of the three products:

RSView ME is the next-generation product designed for use primarily on PanelView Plus and VersaView CE terminals. As harryting mentioned, it provides most of the features you are familiar with in PanelBuilder, but adds things like animation and trending which were not found in PanelBuilder.

If you go with ME, one of the biggest changes you will have to get used to is working with RSLinx Enterprise software. If you are using Ethernet, ControlNet, or DeviceNet, it shouldn't be too bad to get used to. Remote IO is another story...

RSView32 is Rockwell's HMI/SCADA package. It has the typical features that you would expect(alarming, data logging, etc.). All the software needed to run the HMI is loaded on one box, or you can set up remote clients using Rockwell Active Display.

RSView SE is an HMI/SCADA package designed to be distributed throughout a network. For example, multipe servers can be designated to serve screens and alarms, another server handles data transfer (using RSLinx or a similar product) and clients can be on remote PCs as well. Setting up the system architecture can be challenging, but if done properly, SE can be a fairly robust system.