Rs Logic 500!!! Can't Get Online!! Help!!

Hey all!!!

Been Haveing a testing couple of weeks in my new job!!!

Never even opened RS logic 500 till hour ago.... or had anything to do with allen bradly!!! was hopeing to find myself 5 mins once setled into my new job to teach myself abit.

But now we have a machine in breakdown situation which we could really do with getting online with.

But have had no success keeps comeing up with....

NO RESPONSE FROM PROCESSOR AT SELECTED PATH/NODE
DIAGNOSTICS FAILED 0 X 4

I'am useing a cable marked up as ALLEN BRADLEY 1747 CP3 SER A RS232 CABLE??? IS THIS CORRECT ONLY ALLEN BRADLEY CABLE I COULD FIND.

Trying to talk to a SLC 5/04 PLC

Any information would be Great Cheers WILL!!!

Thats correct if the 5/04 is configured for df1

Open up RSLinx (if it on it will be a little icon of a pc with what looks like a chain around in in the status bar) and then go to

Communications > Configure Drivers

Does it show up an AB DF1 driver on your com port ???

If it does highlight it, hit configure and then click autoconfigure

all with the cp 3 cable plugged into your com port to your laptop!

As long as autoconfigure finds the slc and sets up the settings youll be able to go online in logix 500 with the who active go online command.

If the port of the slc is configured for DH485 then the cp3 cable will be no good and Linx autoconfigure will not find it.

Last edited:
First of all, calm down and breathe slowly. You will find that will help more than anything.

Here are the basics

Go to RsLinx and on the menu go to Communications, Configure Drivers

You should see an AB_DF1 driver.

Look to the right of it and verify it is Running

Double Click the DF1 driver.

Make sure the device type is SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview

Click the Auto Configure Button.

It should say Auto Configuration Sucessful

Click Ok and close the Configure Drivers

Now go back to the start menu and go to Communications, RsWho.

Go to your AB_DF1 driver and click it. On the right pane you should see your SLC

Tell me which step you can't do

TWControls said:
504Bloke - You type way too fast. I'm going to have to get some lessons to get my post in quicker

Sorry :) I like to answer 5/04 questions...........

Now if it was S7 and Profibus i would have buried my head in the garden!

Heres some more pretty pictures

I have zipped up the jpeg as its much better quality than posting a BMP file :(

Sorry for the huge delay in my responce but what with one breakdown and another.And the batterly going flat on the laptop....

Great info,But still no sucess!! can't get it to auto configure.

now have the ab df1-1 dh485 com4 running and all that but wouldn't auto configure....

So am i still missing something real simple??? dont care how basic or stupid the sugestions are they are all valid...

Cheers so far Will

How about the Device Type. Is it set to SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview

Since you say com4, what type of adapter are you using

List you configuration parameters under the DF1 Driver

Did you check that port is COM4?

Is this a real port or USB to serial?
USB to serail will not do autoconfig.

Go to the device manager of your PC and verify this

Will maintenance said:
Sorry for the huge delay in my responce but what with one breakdown and another.And the batterly going flat on the laptop....

Great info,But still no sucess!! can't get it to auto configure.

now have the ab df1-1 dh485 com4 running and all that but wouldn't auto configure....

So am i still missing something real simple??? dont care how basic or stupid the sugestions are they are all valid...

Cheers so far Will

Like the others say you need to check this com4 thing!

If you have a cp3 and its plugged into a serial port directly on the laptop then it will normally be com 1 or 2

If you have a usb to serial convertor then it could be anything including com 4. And as already stated the com4 usb will not autoconfigure.

If you go to Start > Right Click MY COMPUTER > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > Expand Ports (Com & Lpt)

that should show your systems available ports and what they are

Pretty Picture attached

Have you got a copy of the program saved somewhere ? As if you have you can work out the baud rates etc and if its df1 or dh485 on the slcs port ?

With RSlinx, when the auto-configure does not find the connected PLC it don't always mean its not able to comunicate with it.

For instance IF the PLC is configure BCC instead of CRC it could not work with the aut-conf. So try it BCC and auto-conf. again!

I even had sometime to select the exact com setting and just OK'ed these then close the window and voila! it worked.

The auto-conf. is not perfect.

Pierre said:
The auto-conf. is not perfect.

I must be lucky then as i have never had it fail yet.

I suppose i'll be at work on Monday and have trouble all day now i have said that :)

504bloke said:
I must be lucky then as i have never had it fail yet.

When you use all AB stuff together then you almost always leave the settins like out-of-the-box. Since we mostly connect AB to non-AB equipments we often have to modify them com setups to fit what's around. Thats when the $hit its the fan. :)

Pierre said:
When you use all AB stuff together then you almost always leave the settins like out-of-the-box. Since we mostly connect AB to non-AB equipments we often have to modify them com setups to fit what's around. Thats when the $hit its the fan. :)

Ahhh, i admit to only using AB with AB at the present time!

Which way does the $h1t normally blow ? West or East ?