Need Help

ahogbackr

Have a question-
It has been many moons since attending training on SLC's.
When I did, I had an older computer, that had a serial port.I always utilized this for communications.
Got out of working with PLC's for about 5 years, so I have forgotten much.
Working with them again, but new computer only has USB ports,purchased USB to serial converter, and it works so-so. Can connect but cannot communicate longer than 5 minutes w/plc processor(SLC 5/05). I thought that maybe I could utilize ethernet connection.I do not remember how to set this up. When I have tried and it does not recognize my computer or the plc processor.I am utilizing a crossover cable. Is there any place to find out how to utilize these communications.(IN Laymens terms)Not real knowledgeable on setting up IP addresses.
Thanks,for any input
Ahogbackr

Hi Ahogbackr,

I use the serial connection on the 5/05 to download my application, after setting up Channel 1 (Ethernet) and it's relevant IP/Subnet addressing (As long as you make your pc's ethernet port the same subnet as your PLC, it's relatively straight forward).

A suggested IP scheme....

PC Address - 10.1.1.1 or 192.168.1.10
PLC Address - 10.1.1.2 or 192.168.1.11
Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Then create a new driver within Linx (Ethernet/IP driver say), and you should be good to go....;)

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks !!!

Thanks, Kid for taking the time.Probably a very basic question,but I am not one of the sharpest pencils in the box.
Again, I appreciate it.
Ahogbackr

I use the USB to Serial on a daily basis on everything from SLC5's to Powerflex drives without issue. I use the Sewell adapter and haven't had any issues with getting booted. http://sewelldirect.com/usbtoserial.asp some of the guys at work have had issues with other adapters and ended up with this one. Another item that is hand is buying a USB to Enet adapter. This has come in really handy while setting up vision systems because you can be online via Enet to the PLC and camera(s) at the same time.