Advice Requested

gary68

I am looking for advice on PLCs - I would like to have a PLC that can turn solenoid valves on and off in specific configurations at the touch of a button - for example if I press 1, I want valve 1 and 3 to open and press 2 I want valve 8 and 12 to open... there are a total of 11 configuarations with a maximum of 5 valves open at any one time... anyone got any advice?

Gary

Any PLC will do the job if it is programmed properly. I suggest looking at one of the micro PLCs from AutomatinoDirect.com, such as the DL-05 or DL-06.

In addition to the physical PLC itself you will have to obtain software to prgram the PLC with the logic you need to make the required control sequence occur. Go to the tutorial on this site for examples of ladder logic programming. This can vary from free for a crippled download version for the MicroLogix 1000 to inexpensive ($395) for AutomationDirect.com to several thousand dollars for some other brands like Siemens or Modicon.

You will also need a cable to connect your PC to the PLC. Again, this varies from $30 or so from some manufacturers like Automation Direct to several hundred dollars for others, where the "cable" includes an RS232 to RS485 converter.

If this is your first PLC project I suggest you get in touch with a local distributor for two or three PLC brands. That way you can get some help in selecting the hardware and getting started on the programming. Both of the brands I mentioned are available in England, but I'm not sure of the quality of the local suppport there. Siemens and Omron are also very popular, but Siemens is quite expensive.

Get 11 buttons with enough contact blocks to feed the relevant solenoids. Wire from the buttons to the solenoids you want on. If you want them to stay on without holding the button, use two position switches. Why do you think you need a PLC ?

SimonGoldsworthy said:
Get 11 buttons with enough contact blocks to feed the relevant solenoids. Wire from the buttons to the solenoids you want on. If you want them to stay on without holding the button, use two position switches. Why do you think you need a PLC ?

Because it would not be much more expensive, it is easier to change, you can hook up a HMI or SCADA panel easily, you can mirror the control panel in another location if necessary.......

You should read the text book :)