What should my input common be, + or -?

ckchew666

Hi,

I'd tried to browse thru this forum on discussion on NPN & PNP, the more i read the more i get confused to...sorry...:(

Based on the attachment, can anyone let me know what are the input common should be if the sensors are NPN type?

NPN.JPG

Thanks a lot....[fainted]

I'll catch some grief for this but, here's a simple way to handle most pnp/npn questions. Look at the last letter, in your case, you have npn sensors, the last letter is "n", so the sensor will be sending an "n" back to the PLC, so you would need your common to be "P" or "+".

Npn Sensor

Hi

Based on the attachment on the input have two kind of input
it's can handle NPN or PNP so if you use NPN then common is N
or neg ( - ) and when PNP used the common must P or ( + )

regards

hanung

NPN sensor

Hi
Sorry my brain is frozzen when i write.
The PNP sensor will give P output So the common is N
The NPN sensor give N output so the common is P
Sorryabout MY first posting
icon7.gif

regards

hanung

What PLC are you using? Mitsubishi?

If you have a negative (NPN) input the common should be positive.

If you have a postive (PNP) input the common should be negative. END OF LINE!!!

Just watch the terminology from PLC to PLC.

By the way. I would never use NPN inputs by choice only PNP.

The drawing you provided shows inputs 1 through 8 could be NPN or PNP in. However, all 8 inputs must be the same.

Inputs 9-16 appear to be seperate from the first block, they could also be either NPN or PNP, but they all must be the same (only one common) (They don't have to be the same as the first block)

Inputs 17 through 24 are all PNP and only PNP.

Inputs 25 through 32 are also PNP

If in doubt, contact the device manufacture for help.

The drawing you provided shows inputs 1 through 8 could be NPN or PNP in. However, all 8 inputs must be the same.

Inputs 9-16 appear to be seperate from the first block, they could also be either NPN or PNP, but they all must be the same (only one common) (They don't have to be the same as the first block)

Inputs 17 through 24 are all PNP and only PNP.

Inputs 25 through 32 are also PNP

Not quite correct. The top half of the card shows outputs and these are of the NPN output type - note positive common to the load and negative common to the card. The positive into the card is usually only to drive the LED indicators to show which output is on, transistors etc.

The lower half of the card shows inputs of either persuasion. Use a positive common for NPN input or a negative common for PNP input.

Very typical of most Japanese PLCs.

The common for the output section of the card is clearly shown as negative and so the NPN transistor will "sink" low placing a differential voltage across the load (L). This differential will turn the load on but the voltage differential will never be a clean 24VDC but more likely to be about 22VDC.

If the common for the input section of the card is negative, then a PNP output device in the field will switch "high" placing a differential across the input and turning it on. The differential voltage is highly unlikely to be 24VDC from a solid state device in the field but will probably be a volt or 2 lower. A contact closure will show a differential much closer to 24VDC and could be full voltage, mainly depending on voltage drop in field wiring.

This is how I wire all my Omron PLCs - sinking outputs and sourcing inputs. Do not like sinking inputs due to the possibility of a ground causing an input to turn on, although the likelyhood of that is reduced to practically zero if the 24VDC supply is isolated and the negative is NOT tied to ground - usually use switch mode power supplies that have isolation inherently built in and allow the 24VDC supply to float.

Last edited:
Thx a lot for all the replies - very good knowledge/info u guys given.

It's a Yokogawa FAM3 PLC combo IO module (16 in & 16 out).

US PLC (Allen Bradley) normally comes in sinking IN & sourcing OUT, but Japanese is vice versa. :)

US PLC (Allen Bradley) normally comes in sinking IN & sourcing OUT, but Japanese is vice versa. :)

BE CAREFUL!!! If I remember correctly, AB sinking input card means sourcing in the field - sinking input with sourcing (positive) feed into the card. The card is negative common. Different way of describing the input but correct.

BobB said:
BE CAREFUL!!! If I remember correctly, AB sinking input card means sourcing in the field - sinking input with sourcing (positive) feed into the card. The card is negative common. Different way of describing the input but correct.

Bob,

The normal AB 1746-IB16 (24v dc sinking) has common '-ve' while 1746-IV16 (24v dc sourcing) has '+ve' common. Thx for your info.

Bob, thanks for the correction.
Not a problem - easy to misunderstand multi I/O cards - have done it myself in the past. the Japanese have their own way of doing things as well and if one is not used to that it can be confusing.