SSI Encoder Interface

pauly

Any body used one of these Sick Stegman serial to parallel encoder interfaces? I am looking for a hook up diagram.I have attached the manual in the hope it makes sense to someone. Any help appreciated.
Regards Pauly

Pauly

I believe you have the same one that we use, I will hunt through my paperwork a bit later today and hopefully dig out the connection diagram.

Paul

Pauly

We use the SPA3 interface, although the pin outs are exactly the same as the SPA2.

What do you need to know?

Does your encoder have a socket fitted to except a plug or do you just have a cable coming out of it that you need to connect to the 15pin connector on the interface?

Are you using the 37 pin connector out of the interface?

What are you hooking up to?

With a bit more info I should be able to help you out here.

Paul

Ssi/parallel Interface

I don't have a connector on the encoder just the cable, I need to connect this to the 15 pin connector and then use the parallel output to my plc which I intend to convert from Gray to an integer. I need some way also of presetting the encoder every revolution but I am not sure of which pin to use.

pauly said:
I don't have a connector on the encoder just the cable, I need to connect this to the 15 pin connector and then use the parallel output to my plc which I intend to convert from Gray to an integer.

Ok, I hope that the cable colours are the same as the linear encoders that we use, as you are using a rotary.

Pin1 - Blue
Pin2 - White
Pin3 - yellow
Pin4 - Grey
Pin5 - Green
Pin6 - Pink
Pin7 - Black
Pin8 - Red
Pin9 - Orange
Pin10 - Brown
Pin11 - Lilac (or violet or maybe even purple)

You can set the interface output as binary using the 'HEX' switch, that way you can read the inputs straight in as a word or double word without having to do any conversion in the PLC.

Do you need to know connections on the 37 pin side?

pauly said:
I need some way also of presetting the encoder every revolution but I am not sure of which pin to use.

Please explain this, are you using a multi-turn absolute encoder?

Paul

Thanks for the reply plucas I am using a programmable multiturn encoder and I would like the connections for the 35 way connector. When I say I need to preset the encoder, the application is a shear and I want to reset the encoder value to either zero,360 degrees or whatever top dead center is because the motor apparently turns in the same direction for every cut. When the encoder reaches T.D.C.I want to reset it after a sutable delay ready for the next cut.

Pauly

Can you post a link to the encoder manual, or post the encoder part number so I can look for a manual, I assumed that you are using a multi-turn absolute encoder, if the motor only turns in one direction and never reverses then, surely, you only need an incremental encoder for your application. You stated you are using a programmable encoder, maybe it's programmable as a single turn.

Anyway, the 37 pin connector is as follows:-

Pin13 and 31 - +ve
Pin20 and 1 - -ve

Then the inputs are as follows, starting with the LSB:-

pin2
pin21
pin3
pin22
pin4
pin23
pin5
pin24
pin6
pin25
pin7
pin26
pin8
pin27
pin9
pin28
pin14
pin33
pin15
pin34
pin16
pin35
pin17
pin36

That should be 24 pins (24 bit)

The above is the minimum required to read the data from the encoder.

Paul

Encoder

Hi Plucas
I don't have a manual at present only a part number: Stegman AG626 multiturn absolute encoder which is programmable I am asssuming for single/multiturn etc. Could I also use just 10 bits of resolution and if so which 10?