screen captures

This should be a FAQ

Use the vB code tag [attachment]. It must be in lower case. That tag is the placeholder for an attached file. Use the Browse button under the reply window to find the file. If you use a .jpg or .gif, the image will appear with the post. if you use a .bmp or .zip, it will need to be downloaded for the user to see it.

To create .gif's from RSLogix, you can do it in one of several ways.

You can find a free screen capturing tool on the web. Many exist.

Or you can use Windows built-in screen capturing. With RSLogix open, press PRINT SCREEN on your keyboard. Nothing will appear to happen, but you've just copied the screen image to the clipboard as a bitmap. Open up Paint (under the Window's Accessories menu) and create a new picture. Set the attributes to 1 x 1 pels (pixels). Then select Paste (CTRL+V). You will be prompted if you want to increase the size, reply yes, and you'll have your screen shot. Since this is probably too big (showing menus, the project window an the like), select a region (you may have to change tools from and to the selection tool), copy, and select Copy To from the Edit Menu.

It helps others if you save it as a 256, or even 16 color bitmap. It makes for faster downloads for those with dial-up modem connections.

To convert the bmp to a gif, I use Microsoft Photo Editor, which comes with MSOffice, but may not be part of the default installation. Again, there are other free products on the web. Simply open the bitmap and SaveAs a .gif or .jpg format.

It's also a good idea to look at the size of the image. Not everyone operates at 1280 or higher resolution. If the image is larger than 600 pixels wide, consider resizing it using the tools available. Another method of getting for a smaller ladder picture is to grab the frame of the LAD window in RSLogix before you capture, shrinking it to the point just before you get rung wrapping.

Another technique for getting RSLogix ladder, when you have several rungs that don't fit on a single screen shot (or would be too small to read if you zoomed out), is to place your curser on the first rung, and selcted copy (ctrl+c).

Open Paint, and do a Paste. This will paste the bitmap of the single rung. Set the attributes to have a height of 2000 pels (or something more than you'll need). You can copy each rung, one at a time into Paint, dragging it into place as you need it. (A good technique is to scroll down so that the previous rung is barely viasble when you paste).

When all the rungs are in place, put your cursor to the bottom of the last rung, look at the X,Y position to determine the "corect" height, change the attributes, Save as 16-color, and convert as above.