soft start dc motor????

ready961

I have a motor that takes drives a wheel with a 3.6 volt dc rechargable battery pack. The problem is, when I switch the motor on the wheel spins out with the 3.6 volts. I was hoping there is a way to have the motor start off slowly and speed up. this has to do it on its own, no other manual switches or remotes can be used. If there is such a thing as an automatic potentiometer or something of the sort. that would be great. please help. Thank You

Is it possible just to put a little gearbox on it to reduce the speed of the motor? Alternatively I would suggest this problem is easier to solve with a few mechanical mods, like increasing the tension on the wheel to increase driving friction, or possibly cutting a starting groove to give the wheel more purchase when starting off. Is slip a problem when the wheel is running at speed?

What you could possibly do is use a relay timer to add a resistance in series on startup. A little experimentation with resistors could allow it to start at 1/4 to 1/2 speed then transition to full speed.

I have read the original post several times trying to figure out the application. It sounds like an RC car type application but you said remotes can not be used.

With that in mind if the device needs to be small it may be possible to construct something simple but effective using a 555 timer.

Last edited: