A/B PLC-540E Question

jrs2563

Greetings! I have a question...We are using a PLC5/40E that collects gas totalization numbers and dumps them at 11pm at night to a report generator. We want to make sure that the PLC clock stays synchronized with the server PC computer so that the dumping takes place at a few seconds before the registers are reset to zero. Here is my question...in the PLC Processor Status window, one can click on the "set time & date" button and synchronize the PLC clock to the computer clock. Does that "button" correspond to a bit (maybe in the S:2 File) that can be toggled during the day to keep both clocks exactly the same? Thanks....Jim

You can move values directly into the time-of-day registers in the S file (S:21 through S:23). Basically that's all that button does. Just have your server PC write its time of day values into those registers once a day or so.

It depends -- what software are you using now to get the data from the PLC-5 to the server for the reporting? If RSLinx is involved it can write data to the PLC just as easily as it can read it.

Thanks Optimus and Ken for the help. I downloaded that program and will give it a try. Thanks again.

Rockwell update tool

Ken,
You may be able to advise us, as we haven't had much luck with Rockwell tech support!
We're trying to use the clock update tool for a PLC5, but we can't seem to select either a PLC5 or SLC as a device when configuring a schedule in the software (it opens RSWho window, I select the PLC5 or SLC, but "OK" button stays disabled). I can set up a ControlLogix no problem, just not the other PLC's
The fact that the tool is called "Logix5000 Clock Update Tool" led me to believe it was only for Logix processors, but the software documentation seems to insist that it can be used for any A-B PLC.

Any ideas?

jsicsltd:

Did you actually call techsupport on this? probably not.

This is a known issue with current version and next rev will fix this.
Older version works with 5's and 500's as well.

Contr_Conn said:
jsicsltd:

Did you actually call techsupport on this? probably not.

This is a known issue with current version and next rev will fix this.
Older version works with 5's and 500's as well.
I did not personally make the call, but my fellow colleague says he did (and if he says he did, then he did!) and the response at that time was that it should work. To be honest, we weren't expecting tech support to jump through hoops for us, the software is free after all! I saw mention of an earlier version (Chronos maybe?). Is this still available and is there a download link?

Old Chronos was not free, it was sold as locked versions with specific customer name embedded. So it was easy to find copy.

I also tried the software, on a PLC5, and had the same result...can't seem to select either a PLC5 or SLC as a device when configuring a schedule in the software (it opens RSWho window, I select the PLC5 or SLC, but "OK" button stays disabled). I'm still trying to find a solution. Wish I could find an older version of the program.

Darnit... I know that the Clock Update Utility was initially published, then pulled from the website because of a problem with PLC/SLC, then re-published with that problem fixed.

I'll connect it to a PLC-5 myself as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks Ken,

We'd kind of resigned ourselves to writing something in VB, but time is always the issue and having an "off the shelf" item is always nicer.