AB Blues

voyage

Hello Everyone
Here's my problem recently my HD Crashed and i lost my working project of RSView. The MMI still had the program running in it, but uploading it I could not use it as it was a runtime file, and according to AB can't be used again as a development file. Anyway I had to rewirte all the screens for the job again, but since then when i run the progam on my laptop everything is okay till i make a runtime to down load to mmi then i get this error message:-

WARNING: Unsupported device detected. Shortcut name = "Master". Device name = "Ethernet Bridge (1769-L32E)". Description: The system has detected that a device type that was not supported in the requested version is referenced by a shortcut. If the system upon which this project is to be run has received a patch that adds support for this device type, then this situation will not cause any problems. Otherwise runtime errors will be detected and logged by the target system when it attempts to communicate to that device.

anyone help please i have the latest eds files installed

as a fix i use the old version of runtime file to run the new file

Many thanks
Voyage

Little off topic, but what stage is your "Crashed HD"? The reason I ask is if it powers and is recognized by Win operating system, you can use software to retrieve your files. I lost a HD last year, and I ran a utility called "Undelete", and with a HD that was re-formatted, I was able to retrieve over 1000 MP3 files, along with some real-work related files as well....
Just a thought.
With today's connectors, you can plug most HD's into USB or whatever IDE connection you have very easily, just to give you another option.

Well, I guess you are SOL then. Just as a precaution, I always make a compressed backup of my project, and store it on multiple storage locations. In RSView, there is a tool located in application manager that does just that. Try to use it and always make a copy on a network drive, or somewhere other than your C drive. I have been a victim too many times also.

jimtech67 said:
kcarlen

I am using RS View32 6.40. Where is this utility? I cannot find it. What am I missing ????

I know the application mannager is used with RSView ME/SE. I'm not sure that RSView32 works the same way.

voyage, there are three basic different versions of RSView software.

There's RSView32, RSView ME, and RSView SE.

Since you described "downloading to an MMI" I suspect you are using RSView ME, and that your "MMI" is a PanelView Plus or VersaView CE terminal.

Is this the case ? More help will be forthcoming if you can narrow down the precise product you are using.

The message is implying that there's a problem with your RSLinx Enterprise settings, have a look at how you've configured the shortcut "Master" on the "Target" tab.

If the old .mer file works then download it to the HMI followed by downloading the new one but when downloading the new one don't select the option of replacing comms settings.

jimtech67:

The utility in RSView32 is called Transport. It is a separate utility run outside of RSView32. I think it is in a Program Group under Rockwell Software called RSView32 Tools. Something like that. If it isn't there then you may need to grab the install CD to install that tool.

OG

Hard Drive Repair Service

kcarlen said:
Well, I guess you are SOL then.
Not really, it's just a matter of cost. There are companies that will repair your hard drive and recover the data. Everybody knows they should do backups, but rarely does it actually happen. That means Hard Drive Repair/Recovery is big business.
I used a service last year. The machine was obsolete, so that was the only option. Paid about $1600.00 for a 1 gig drive. They replaced the head unit, then ran it on their machine to recover the data. I got a CD with data. Directories didn't have original names, so I still had to rebuild the directory.

Some services can do a repair for about $300.00 if it's just the board. "Won't power up" sounds like a chip failure.
With the loss you had, it's worth spending the money for a checkout to see where you stand.

Last edited:
You might want to look at your RSLinx. Go into the DDE/OPC configure topic. Make sure the topic configured there is the same as the topic on the processor that it is interfaced to, highlite that, then go to the right it should bring up the project hiararchy tree. Drill down to the Processor module and make sure it is pointing to a specific processor type (Contrologix's 1756-L55) and not a generic module. Highlite that then hit apply. If it doesn't show you a specific processor type then you will have to call Rockwell and have them send you an EDS file for Linxs to recoginize your processor type. Good Luck!