Step7- CPU314IFM – OP27

Alex Pel

Hello All!

I need your help with Step7- CPU314IFM – OP27 communication.

The system is working. OP27 connected by Profibus cable to MPI socket of CPU.

I plugged my PC (Step7 V5.3) on top of existing connection. In NetPro I can see the CPU with address 2 and I have uploaded the station. The problem is, I couldn’t see my HMI. Only idea I have, it to create a new project, configure MPI net and download it to PLC but I don’t know how existing program will survive.

Sorry for simple question, I’ve never done this before. Thanks.

Ok. I think, I don’t have to reconfigure the PLC station. Rather I have to somehow configure my OP27 from ProTool. Give it address #1 and rest parameters assign same as CPU. What do you think?

Thanks.

hi Alex Pel.

For a simple application, i.e. one PLC + one OP via MPI, you dont need to configure anything in NetPro.

As you suggest, just specify the parameters in Protool.
The alternative is to integrate the Protool project in the STEP7 project and configure the online connection via NetPro. But you wont get any advantages from doing so.

A slight advantage from integrating Protool in STEP7 is that you get the symbols from STEP7 into Protool, but again - not a big advantage for a small project.

by default, in netpro .... OP cannot be connected unless defined connection already exist in HW config ...

.... it's like Jesper saying - better integrate protool project in step7 ... and after that .... connection can be defined in protool:
- open project
- select Controllers branch
(there has to be your station! like PLC_1 or smg)
- open it
- click Parameters button

now you can edit type of connection for your OP

then switch to NetPro and connect OP to PLC as usually

Thanks JesperMP and marius.

Now I can see my OP27 in NetPro, but still can’t upload the HMI. In ProTool upload menu is able only when there is no any project loaded. As soon as I created new empty project the upload menu disabled. When I tried to upload at once: it starts trying to connect but unsuccessfully.

Also I tried connected vs serial com. by Siemens V.24 cable. Still nothing L

Any idea?

My OP27 looks like configured to listen PLC only. When I disconnect the PLC it screaming “no connection” and doesn’t listen PC.

I think I miss something like switch my OP27 to transfer mode. Does anyone know how to do this?

On startup you have to use either ESC and the up arrow OR ESC and Right arrow and Down arrow, I think for an OP27 you will need to use the second option. If you open Protool then goto Help (?) and look at MPI or Serial it will explain more.

Well, operator helped me to switch back from German to English, but I think I have to delay my desperate attempts before I kill the working system. I have to come back later because it is my assignment on my new job and we have lot of Siemens PLCs. I didn’t solve following:

• Merging PLC program with comments
  • Uploading HMI OP27.
In first issue I could upload the PLC program (in Simatic Manager – upload station to PG) but it created new station. I didn’t find any way to merge with the project on my laptop.

In the second issue I tried both MPI and Serial connection from ProTool. I did switched OP27 to the transfer mode but still nothing.

Thanks for any help.

well...

1) in 'siemens notation' upload is download.... transfering program to OP is called DOWNLOAD ...

2) tranfering software into OP... doesn't depends on NetPro or anything else except the protool download/preferences settings - those are important for project settings and communication with CPU's

3) mpi requires proper adapter ? pc-adapter ? cp5611 ... which offers different speeds and unique assigned MPI adress... one for your OP, one for every other station... like CPU

4) serial connection needs only proper speed settings... on some OP's like OP170B there is no need to switch into transfer mode ... on others like OP3 it is necessary (i don't know how about OP27) - i think it's always easier to start with serial download ... try to set some lower speed 19200 in protool and on the OP too ... (OP3 for example may communicate only at 9600)

5) what rsdoran suggest is memory reset - that deletes project from some OP's (startup means- during powering-up device, then you switch it on) and allows user to return back to factory settings... and also to start tranfer mode... you can avoid this to assign 'transfer function' in protool to particular button in some screen (F5 for example)

6) download manuals for you OP to understand how it works ...

http://support.automation.siemens.c...api.dll?func=cslib.csinfo2&aktprim=99&lang=en

marius said:
well...

1) in 'siemens notation' upload is download.... transfering program to OP is called DOWNLOAD ...
Thank you for another hope. Please explain what do you mean? Before playing at first with any running PLC/HMI, as a rule I transfer all programs from PLC/HMI to computer hard drive. This operation I call – “Upload”. Transferring the edited application from computer to PLC/HMI I call – “Download”. Is Siemens notation has opposite meaning? I don’t think so.

All I need just transfer OP27 application to my laptop. As far as I understand I can do it by ProTool. Should be simple procedure:
  • Launch ProTool CS V6.0 SP3 (In menu it allows me only FILE and ?, in FILE – New…, Open…, ProTool Integration in Step7, Project Manager and Upload) Only choice – Upload. Preferences – I tried all different combinations (MPI, Serial). I do have CP5511(Auto). I have transferred PLC program to my laptop through that adapter. OP connected directly to PLC by Profibus cable. I plugged a laptop cable on top of this connection. Also I tried to connect laptop directly to OP27 IF1B port. With Serial port I tried Siemens V.24 cable to both panel ports: IF1A and IF2. I tried all possible speeds from ProTool. I don’t know how to check configuration on OP27?
  • Start OP27 and press combination Esc + Up arrow (it goes to Transfer mode and tells me: “Press Esc to load”. When I press Esc it loading existing application, activate start screen and asking the PLC. So to transfer app to PC I don’t have press Esc until I finish transferring. )
What I am doing wrong?

Your link doesn’t work.

I may be missing something here, but the only old OP i know of which can be uploaded is OP37, The upload feature can be used with CE Based panels ie TP/MP/OP270 and then the upload check box has to be active.

If you want to back up the OP use a program called "PROSAVE" if its not installed then it will be on the Protool CD.

You cannot edit the file, If you need to alter the Panel you need the original source.

However if its a new project then you need to compile + download your Protool file to the unit which should be in transfer mode.

Are you sure your serial cable is ok?

Is there a screen in your project to change the download preference to MPI?

Hope this helps

STL

Not sure what you have tried so far but you may want to look into this one. It will allow you to back up the data and application from the OP27 to your laptop without having to use Pro-Tool.
You can install Pro-Save as a stand alone application or as part of the Pro-Tool application. (It comes with the Pro Tool Apllication Installation CD).
Read the Pro Tool manual for more info.

In order to put the terminal into a transfer mode, follow the instructions in the OP27 manual.

What is ProSave?
Functionality

ProSave is integrated in ProTool but can also be installed as a stand-alone application. Thus, in the event of service being necessary with a stand-alone installation, you can restore to a device the original data you previously backed up with ProSave without using ProTool after, say, you have replaced a destination device.

ProSave provides all the functions required to download data between the configuration PC and the operating unit:

• <LI class=kadov-p-CDiscList>Install and uninstall drivers and options as well as information about installed and installable options on an operating unit

<LI class=kadov-p-CDiscList>Data backup by means of Backup/Restore functions

<LI class=kadov-p-CDiscList>Operating system download for Windows CE-based units
  • License download
Furthermore, you can set ProSave's user interface in all languages that are also available in ProTool.

Integrated operation

With a ProTool installation, ProSave is installed by default on the configuration computer. The whole range of ProSave functions is available to you on the configuration computer within ProTool by choosing "File" > "Download" from the menu. This means that you do not have to open another application.

With integrated operation, the ProSave dialog boxes are opened from within a project. The advantage of this is that all necessary settings (such as destination device, download settings, and language setting) are applied from the project.

Stand-alone operation

ProSave can also be installed as a stand-alone version on a computer from the ProTool CD-ROM and without installing ProTool, for service purposes for example.

With a stand-alone installation, you have to explicitly perform the settings for the device and download operation on the ProSave user interface.

ProSave applications

ProSave can be used on the following operating units:

• <LI class=kadov-p-CStandard>Text-based displays: TD 17, OP 7, OP 17, C7-633, and C7-634

<LI class=kadov-p-CStandard>Graphic displays: OP 27, TP 27, OP 37, and TP 37
  • All available Windows CE-based units
Note

For it to be possible to use the different operating units with the current version of ProSave, the units must have one of the following operating system versions:

- Windows CE devices: v.6.0 or higher

- Graphic devices: v.4.0 or higher

- Text-based devices: v.5.2 or higher

The operating system versions required for the Windows CE devices are supplied with ProTool.

Download options

You can use the following transfer paths to download data from the configuration computer and the operating unit:

TD 17
OP 7
OP 17
C7-633
C7-634

OP 27
TP 27
OP 37
TP 37

OP 170B
TP 170A
TP 170B
Mobile Panel 170
C7-635 TP
C7-635 OP

MP 270

OP 270
TP 270

MP 270B
MP 370

Serial

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

MPI

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes

Ethernet (if available on the device)

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

Yes

USB (if available on the device)

No

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

The supported download channels are the same as used by ProTool to transfer data to the operating unit. The same rules apply to backup/restore as for data transfer from ProTool: you have to perform the same settings on the operating unit as you did in ProSave/ProTool.

Unbelievable! Siemens doesn’t provide Upload. Thanks any way. I have done back up with ProSave, I have done Download with ProTool. I had original source but who knows how accurate it is? There is no any tool to compare. Only operator of machine will tell me after a while, may be.

Thanks a lot.

Well. Siemens one-way approach: “You have to have the original source in order to alternate a program” gives me a sense why I couldn’t merge the PLC comments. That is another problem I have. I have Uploaded the PLC station and almost all blocks with Simatic manager. I compared with my source project and found out lot of missing objects (UDT, VAT, SFB, SFC) and of cause no symbols, no comments. Using Export/Import I got the symbols but lost 7 from 226 (no problem). I have no any idea how to get the comments. Also I am not sure that program will work if I download back that I have uploaded. How it is going to work without missing UDT for example?

Tell me please anybody, Am I right? If it so, what is the proper maintenance strategy. Any one can alter the program without source saving and we will loose his modification?

Thanks.