S7 > AB Comparison

504bloke

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi

In rough terms what would you equate the siemens series of PLC's to in terms of the AB range ?

MicroLogix = ?

SLC 5/04 5/05 = ?

Compact Logix = ?

Control Logix = ?

Like i said just rough terms !

I would guess that the S7 200 is equivalent to the Micrologix series, but thats just a guess ?

PLC 5 = s5

MicroLogix = s7 200

SLC 5/04 5/05 = s7 300

Compact Logix = o_O 350?:ROFLMAO:

Control Logix = s7 400

geniusintraining said:
PLC 5 = s5

MicroLogix = s7 200

SLC 5/04 5/05 = s7 300

Control Logix = s7 400

This is an interesting question.

I am not sure I would classify the S5 with PLC5, probably closer to the low end SLC range. The PLC5 would probably need to be matched to the 505.

Not sure but I think all of the S7 300/400 range is basically comparable to the Logix platform.

geniusintraining said:
PLC 5 = s5

MicroLogix = s7 200

SLC 5/04 5/05 = s7 300

Control Logix = s7 400

I've been very impressed with the CompactLogix line.
Is that a laugh in there is no such thing as a 350?

(Forgive me, for I know not Siemens PLCs)

The S5 series covered a very wide range of processors. The S5-100U was comparable to the SLC500, but the 155U had some real horsepower. It was as powerful as anything out there from '85 to '95.

504bloke said:
Like i said just rough terms !

We have 1 s5-95u and 9 s5-115u and yes I agree that they have real horse power, in the last 9 years I can think of only one failure and that was on a input card. I also dont think the PLC5 was a piece of junk

The s7-200 is a brick style PLC like the Micro series

I would agree that the s7-300 is better then the 500 series, but I THINK that the 400 and control logix are close, I don't have any 400's but I think the main differance from the 300 to the 400 is SPEED

CroCop said:
I've been very impressed with the CompactLogix line.
Is that a laugh in there is no such thing as a 350?

(Forgive me, for I know not Siemens PLCs)

I am also not an expert my anymeans, yes the laugh was that there is no 350 (that I know of) if you ever get a chance to work with the 300/400 line try it, I think you will also be impressed.

so here is my revised listing
SLC 500-502 = s5

MicroLogix (1200/1500) = s7 200

SLC 5/04 5/05 = none

Compact Logix = s7 300

Control Logix = s7 400

rough terms!

Need to get over this hangover

Mamma Mia !!

I need to get over this hangover !! Any one going to join me !!
pour_1.gif

Well !! About Hardware I would
toss_coin.gif

About Application Solutions, AB has a long way off from Siemens.

Pinch Siemens, they will buy you off and slowly ....... Well you know what !!

I am going to start to learn AB systems !! Will it be too hard ?
I guess no !!. Also we have some good friends here would would love to help me out I am sure :ROFLMAO:

Can i do things which I could do with Siemesn ?
I guess, sure !! If i know the application well !!

Function Modules, who has better?
I know Siemens has more , But AB is catching up fast.

COST !! Ohh , I do not know, I would want both of them to be much cheaper that what they are today !!

Regards
------------

S7Guy said:
The S5-100U was comparable to the SLC500..
I have to comment that one.
If you mean "fixed" or "SLC5/01" then I aggree.
But if you also compare S5-100 with SLC5/03 and up, then I have to protest.
SLC5/03+ has (much) more processing power, more memory, floating point math, better online editing, easy networking, and much more.

Here is my take on 504blokes original question:

MicroLogix = S7-200

SLC 5/04 5/05 = S7-300

Compact Logix = S7-300

Control Logix = S7-300/S7-400

(like he said, in rough terms, its like comparing apples and oranges)

I've been struggling to get a clear view of PCS7 for about 5 years - so far I've not been able to persuade an employer to send me on a course, so I'm still guessing. :D

However, from what I've been able to make out so far, Siemens regards PCS7 as a fully fledged SCADA product (which I certainly don't agree with). That would mean they see it as competing with Foxborough I/A, ABB Bailey System 6 or Symphony, etc., rather than with conventional PLC systems. Since I've spent most of the last 30+ years working mainly with these systems and their predecessors, with my meagre PCS7 experience (one project direct involvement and one project "looking on") I don't believe Siemens has made it that far yet. Not knowing AB at all, I can't comment on whether or not they have something comparable or not.

One thing that has become clear, speaking to end-users of Siemens installed PCS7 systems, is that even the Siemens programmers seem to have little idea of what underlies the PCS7 environment, neither in H/W terms nor S/W (Step7). They seem to regard the PCS7 environment as an independant entity and often seem to have little idea of the demands it places on the underlying H/W (both PLC and PC).

I have never worked with PCS7.
This is the little I know (think I know):

PCS7 is a DCS solution. The hardware is WinAC or S7-400 with Profibus and higher level networking. Everything is redundant and scalable.
Programming is on a higher level than "regular" PLC programming. The programmer selects preconfigured "objects" and assigns them parameters without thinking about the underlying mechanisms.
If he ever does any programming it is in Graph, Higraph, CFC, or SCL, not in STL, LAD or FBD.

Not sure what the comparable Rockwell solution would be. ControlLogix + RSView SE I guess.