Redlion G303

Jezz

Hi we have a Redlion G303 display and need it to comunicate with a Allen bradley (SLC 5/02 or SLC 5/04) can it do this and also how do we set up the OPC server?

Quick answer is yes

The easiest way is to set the coms up to DH485 on the 5/04 (the 5/02 is already dh485).

Then set the coms in the G303 to DH485, lave all the settings as they are, apart from node which you will need to set for both the plc and the G3.

Then use a 485 cable (pinout available from redlion website) to plug the two together.

If you want to use an AIC+ for the 5/04 then set the comms on the plc to dh485, use the standard ab cable to go from the plc to the AIC+, set the g3 comms to dh485 and use the cable (pinout from redlions site) to connect the g3 to the AIC+ 9 pin port

I havent used the opc server so cant help there.

Sorry to be vague on the pinouts but i have the details at work and am at home at present. If DanY (or someone else) from redlion hasnt given you the cable links by this afternoon then ill post them for you.

I've got the cable pin out's just couldn't get it it talk to the 5/02 now I know it is suposed to I'll have another go (didn't want to waste my time if it wasn't capable of it ).

How are you doing it ? Which PLC ? Whats the problems ?

In the slc take a look at status register S2

project > Controller > Processor Status > Then for 502 COMMS for 504 Ch0 Nodes (if ch0 is set to dh485)

The node table from the plc will let you see if the G3 is visible.

Also on the G3 put the tag CommsError (you dont need to make this up in the tag editor as its an internal value - view it as say 8 bit binary format) in binary format on a screen and this will show a 1 if the port is ok and communicating or a 0 if not (also 0 if not configured)

Heres the Cable link i used to connect a 5/04 to a G3

http://www.redlion.net/Support/Cable/CBLAB001.pdf

I went trough an AIC+ for this as above

Heres the cable pinouts for the G3 connecting straight to DH485 on the terminal strip of an aic+

AB 1761 Net AIC (AIC+)

G3 AIC+

1 = B
2 = A
6 = COM
Term jumped to A

No problems with the 5/04 (conection via DF1) but I can't get the 5/02 to work every thing looks ok but it just wont comunicate (its not networked so I cant have both the laptop and HMI connected at the same time)

Got it working for some reason (pilot error) it hadn't updated the tags when I updated the screen settings...šŸ™ƒ

One thing the G3 does is if the tags in the G3 are not in the plc then its doesnt update any tags on the screen and the commserror goes between 1 and 0 for that port.

This is only for the screen thats displayed as the G3 only reads tags for the displayed screen. unless the tags are in the programming side.

Another thing that caught me out is if you do a terminal update that includes the g3 f/w then when doing it over ethernet you need a CF card installed otherwise its got to be done via USB.

That makes sense.

Another question for you how can I get the G303 to change the Screen when an intger change's eg

N7:0 = 1 show page1
N7:0 = 2 show page2

I've tried this program

if(Screen == 1) GotoPage(Page1);
if(Screen == 2) GotoPage(Page2);

But how do I get the program to run all the time?

To get the program say

ScreenChange to run every second

Goto

User Interface > Right Click Pages > Put in the

On Tick box

ScreenChange()

I have done a similar prog on the G3 8" depending on a tag in the plc the G3 decides on the press of a button which screen to display using the following

if (SyloSelect==1)
GotoPage(SylosBalloon);
else
if (SyloSelect==2)
GotoPage(SylosFactory);
else
if (SyloSelect==0)
GotoPage(Main);

And remember to click the Translate " ! " button to check the syntax

Thanks for that Dave šŸ» ,this is the first Redlion we have used and I've been inmpessed with what it can do ,I just need to get my head round what it is capible of.

Jezz said:
Thanks for that Dave šŸ» ,this is the first Redlion we have used and I've been inmpessed with what it can do ,I just need to get my head round what it is capible of.

Its capable of quite a lot, just started using them myself, 3" 8" and 10" so far, i dont think ill be going back to my previous brand of screens!

In the 8" you can click properties for each particular screen (same as i posted earlier) this isnt available in the 3" only on the Page settings

Also if you set up a formula integer says

CommsFaults and give this the tag CommsError (Internal one) then you can set this (CommsFaults) to give an alarm if the comms fail.

Sorry for the delay gentleman, yesterday was a holiday here in the States.

I am glad to hear that you are up and running, please do not hesitate to call or email me.

As far as changing pages based on a PLC register, the On Tick method is OK, but triggers are another way to do it. The trigger method is definitely preferred if you have a very complicated database. The program itself will be the same, it is just you will call the program when there is a mismatch between 2 tag values.

I have attached an example of this method. You will also want to take note that the program is called On Start up, as to set the internal value equal to the PLC value so the trigger will work when the PLC value changes.

Regards,