Pics of my school

randylud

I just wanted to post a couple of pictures of my school and associated labs so this will serve two purposes. One, you can see where I work and the other is I get to practice putting pictures on this site. Which heretofore I have not been able to do, but since Phil upped the ante, I am gonna give it a go. This is just FYI and I will gladly answer any questions you might have.
TEC3.jpg

Part of the building I work in.
PLCLAB4.jpg

PLC trainer we use for PLC class
PLCLAB1.jpg

Wide shot of the PLC lab, or most of it.
ElectronicsLab2.jpg

Wide shot of the electronics lab.
ProcessControlLab1.jpg

One of the process control trainers I use in Instrumentation class.

I may put up some other shots of students later on, but have to take them and get their permission to post.
Enjoy

Very nice, I wish they had those kind of facilities where I went to school.

Come to think of it, it's also a lot nicer than any of the places I had to work after graduating.

I agree with Mickey.. Too Clean.
You need to have the hydraulics lab in the same bldg.
Students should be able to unplug a temposonics cordset while on their back with hydraulic oil dripping on their safety glasses. :)

Very nice facility.

butcher block bench tops! ! ! High Class.

Great process bench - heat exchanger, level. Is the blue tank looking thing on the left end a pressure vessel?

Dan

Do you know where the benches came from in your shot of the electronics lab?

Are those SLC's in the first picture?

Damn... that's a good lookin' place. All clean and shiny. The school I went to had some gorgeous labs and some that look like hadn't been updated since transistors were the hot new thing.

I was in greensboro this past weekend. plc were just comming out when I went to school and it was a thing that was going to go by the way side yea right.

monkeyhead said:
It looks like a building to me... (sorry couldn't resist). But I believe I spotted some in the third picture.

Sorry, haven't been to school in a while and apparantly forgot how to count:confused: .

Joking aside, this looks like an impressive facility. I'm not sure I would have anything to wear walking in to a place like that (would Nomex seem pretentious?)

Very nice, I hope the schooling is as good as the school.

Thanks for all the "good" comments fellows. And the facility is so new looking because we just moved in last fall. In time it will wear but we are trying very hard to protect the NEW look and not let it get tarnished on purpose. As for some of your questions:

Great process bench - heat exchanger, level. Is the blue tank looking thing on the left end a pressure vessel?
Dan

No Dan, it is not a pressure vessel, it is a water heater. The process rig in the pic can do level, flow and temperature control. Actually all three can be done at the same time or used in feedforward or cascade experiments.

Do you know where the benches came from in your shot of the electronics lab?
Are those SLC's in the first picture?

Allscott, yes I do know where the benches were purchased and it is an educational supply company here in NC that reps for the bench makers. And as for the SLCs, the suitcase looking things on the tables in the PLC lab are indeed SLC5/03 trainers. The only thing you can do with them is program lights and switches though. I prefer using the machine trainer to teach control programming in my classes.

Next time, can you include some pictures of the traffic light simulator, elevator simulator, garage door opener simulator, and the washing machine simulator. And oh yes, the beer keg cooler temperature regulator!

CaseyK, ever the joker, thanks for the comments and I have a special file for all of the things you noted above.

I was in greensboro this past weekend. plc were just comming out when I went to school and it was a thing that was going to go by the way side yea right.

Next time you are in Greensboro, stop in and say Hi Kenneth.

I can tell you all that it is a wonderful feeling to have this facility to work in. I spent the previous 9 years in a building on our main campus that is over 40 years old and it looked like it. Ron Beaufort has seen it so he can attest to how much different it was. Not to mention, I only had one room in that building and it was divided in half for classroom and lab. I feel like a BB in a box car sometimes now, I have three labs as you can see and a classroom that is totally separate from the labs. What a life, huh?

elevmike said:
No kidding! Remember them punch cards Tom?

I do - with fear and loathing! I hated throwing my Fortran programs "over the wall" at night and coming back in the morning to find a thick printout of error codes.