SLC500 simulation

gerryh

Can I test and simulate a SLC505 with a processor only? I want to test communications to an MMI and debug some code without actually installing IO.

Why not?

You will need to make a copy of your program and change the I/O configuration to show only the processor or I think it will fault out on download.

Greetings gerryh ...

and welcome to the forum ...

if I understand your question correctly, you have two basic choices:

(1) enter the I/O on the Configuration screen ... this will give you access to the I/O addresses to use in your program ... unfortunately, the processor will not run unless the I/O is physically installed in the chassis ... BUT ... you can use the techniques shown in this thread as a “workaround” ... this will let you tell the processor to “ignore” the missing I/O modules and keep on running without a fault ...

note: you MUST (I repeat MUST) be using the correct size chassis/rack as specified on the I/O Configuration screen ... there is no workaround for that piece of hardware ...

(2) you can leave the I/O completely out of the picture and write your ladder logic using “dummy/stand-in” addresses from internal binary bits ... example: use B10:2/0 to stand-in for O:2/0 ... this approach will allow you to write and execute the program ... later you can reassign the real-world inputs and outputs in place of the temporary “dummy” bit addresses ...

hope this helps ...

Right click on the processor in your software and open the properties panel (Ithink this is what it is called, the same place you look to see what errors you have). One of the tabs will be where you can enable or disable the slots of a rack. If you disable all of the I/O card slots then the processor won't fault if the I/O card is not installed. Just remember to re-enable them before startup or you will be wondering why nothing appears to be working.