S7-414 - Work Mem 94% full

ZX9R

Hi

I'm working on a large project, the S7-414 we are using is showing wok memory at 94% full. Tried compression, deleting unused blocks and complete reset/clear and download and still 94% full, so we really ARE using that up.

The memory card we had was a 1M RAM card, and we have just swapped to a 2M Flash card - we run out of code space too!

So basically, I want to ask a few things :

1) Will a 2M (or 4M) RAM card help instead of a flash card? (with robust battery backup of course!!)
Can we use a RAM card to extend the work memory AND the load memory at the same time?

2) Is it possible to upgrade the internal work memory in the 414?
3) Do we have to go the route of getting a 416 instead?

Any help appreciated

So I'm not a an Siemens guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd imagine you want more RAM rather than flash. Flash from my understanding is a type of EEPROM and is much slower than RAM, so is probably used more for backup than anything. My gut says RAM is what you want.

Sorry if I wasn't much help... You had an ape picture and my primate obsession compelled me to reply.

Work memory fixed according to CPU version you buy - for example the lower spec 414 has 128KB of work memory, higher spec 384KB, lower spec 416 has 512KB, higher spec 1.6MB code + 1.6MB data.

CPU can only execute and access data in work memory with the exception that data blocks can be copied from load memory. For example you could have say 10000 recipes stored in load memory, you delete the current recipe to make space then copy the desired recipe from load memory to work memory and then use it.

term compress for S7300/400 CPU mean just memory defragmentation process - it will not save single byte, but make possible to load biggest possible block of code or data into free mem... nothing more, nothing less

flash memory cannot replace RAM.... it's all about Work Memory amount, other option is complicated process 'mem-swap' SimonGoldsworthy mentioned